Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Suica on Iphone for all of Japan? 2024/1/18 09:56
Hello all!

I have what it probably a rather dumb question about transportation in Japan. If I load suica on my Iphone while I am in Japan, will I be able to use it outside of Tokyo? When I was last in Japan a few months ago, I used the visitor pasmo card in the Tokyo area, which worked great, while my sister had the suica on her phone with no issues as well. Since it would be easier to use my phone, I am thinking about doing what she did and use suica on my phone while I am visiting Japan this summer. However, I am going to be going outside of Tokyo this trip and arriving at KIX and visiting Osaka, Kyoto, Shirakawago, and Nagoya for a few weeks before heading to Tokyo. Will I be fine or is there any hangups that I should be aware of beforehand?

I know this is probably a silly question, but I couldn't seem to find an answer that I could understand when researching.

Thank you!
by Leanna (guest)  

Re: Suica on Iphone for all of Japan? 2024/1/18 10:17
Yes, you can use Suica (and Pasmo) all across Japan:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Suica on Iphone for all of Japan? 2024/1/18 11:53
Yes. Generally at least. There are some remote public transport lines that donft accept IC cards. But that is pretty in frequent. Eg from last year I remeber that the train from all the trips I did only for Oigawa line and Nagano Dentetsu line I needed to pay in cash.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Suica on Iphone for all of Japan? 2024/1/18 12:26
There are actually quite a few train companies and lines that do not take IC cards and travelling outside an IC card area can also be a trap, but for 99.99% of tourists you would probably not encounter them. Nagano has a couple of train companies that don't accept IC cards for trips and also sections of the main train routes where they don't work. But in general IC cards are not location specific - i.e. SUICA works in Osaka.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread