Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Can I still visit Aso san? Level 2 eruption? 2024/1/31 15:54
Can I still visit Aso san in the coming week? Level 2 eruption warning is currently on.

Areas within 1 km of the crater cannot be access. But can I still view Aso from the car park or the lookout? Any advice?
by C (guest)  

Re: Can I still visit Aso san? Level 2 eruption? 2024/1/31 18:27
Can I still visit Aso san in the coming week?

Currently, you can go as far as 1 kilometer from the crater. This includes the Kusasenri area and the parking lot and volcano museum. The views from there are very nice.

Nobody knows what the situation will be tomorrow or in one week from now.

In winter there is the additional risk that the road gets closed due to snow.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Can I still visit Aso san? Level 2 eruption? 2024/1/31 20:25
Mt. Aso has been closed off since at least 5 years now. It's unlikely they will open it soon. First the danger must be lowered to level 1, then it might be opened. That can take months or years.
You can not see the crater or use the ropeway to the peak.

I'd also like to know if it makes any sense to even go there. Are there any worthwhile hiking trails that are open?
by realadry rate this post as useful

Re: Can I still visit Aso san? Level 2 eruption? 2024/2/1 01:56
Due to increased gas emissions, it was changed to Level 2 last month.
Nobody tells Mother Nature what to do - it could change back soon (don't hold your breath), or maybe in months or years. I was lucky when I went there 10 years ago. Shortly afterwards, it was closed for many years.
https://goo.gl/RwpnU8

You can still go there, and see what you can from over 1 km away, but there are still a number of other good sights in the area if you are driving - the Daikanbo Lookout, Nabegataki Falls (closed until the end of March, 2024, and need tickets online), Kikuchi Gorge, Yamabuki Springs, Kamishikimi Kumanoimasu Shrine, etc.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I still visit Aso san? Level 2 eruption? 2024/2/1 05:51
Mt. Aso has been closed off since at least 5 years now

No, it was open until January 23, 2024. It could reopen later this month or remain closed for years. It does not look the latter will be the case, as I don't think the mountain currently has the potential for a major eruption.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Can I still visit Aso san? Level 2 eruption? 2024/4/8 02:20
Well it's April and no official update since January. Looks like it's gonna be closed for a looong time.

Yeah it was open a short while before the recent eruption but before that it was also closed for many years. I wanted to go there in 2017 and 2019 and it was closed continiously.

Re: Can I still visit Aso san? Level 2 eruption? 2024/4/28 19:31
Unexpectedly Mt.Aso Crater was opened again on 26th April

reply to this thread