Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Tokyo in November 2024/2/8 18:07
Hello everybody, I'm planning to return to Japan next autumn fromt he 15th to the 30th of November but, since I'm going to stay only in Tokyo, I was wondering if it will be too early for the momijigari. What do you think? Will I be able to enjoy read leaves? I'm planning to go back to Kawaguchiko and visit Mt. Takao, Kamakura and maybe some other one-day trip from Tokyo. This autumn was sooo warm and the I've read that the leaves start changing very late but I couldn't find the reports of 2022 and 2021 on the blog to compare. Maybe I could return to Kyoto too, and start my travel from there (I've read that in Kyoto the leaves starts to change in red earlier than in Tokyo). Any suggestion? Thank you
by Valerio (guest)  

Re: Tokyo in November 2024/2/9 04:43
back in about 2019 we were there end October to mid November, I think by early November Kawaguchiko was already browning off, Kamikochi has brown, Takayama had plenty of colour. I would have thought you'd have very good prospects of seeing colour while you are there.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo in November 2024/2/9 08:17
We usually do our Tokyo trips pre-pandemic on the first two weeks of November. Fall colors then were usually nice in the major parks (Ueno, Shinjukugyoen, etc). Last year though was a different story. We were there 3rd week of November and it was all green. There were some maple leaves turning red but for some reason I thought they werenft this bright red color I used to see.

Anyway, there are lots of places near Tokyo that might be worth a day trip for early autumn leaves. You may check on Nikko, Takao, Hakone.

Enjoy your trip!
by andrea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo in November 2024/2/9 15:26
Finding autumn colors is one thing. Finding red momiji is another.

I feel that momijigari is very tricky, because you can easily find all trees in color except the momiji. If you're willing to do day trips, you should come to Tokyo, and ask tourist information to update yourself so that you could head to the right destination the next day.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo in November 2024/2/9 16:27
I've seen photos of the 25th Nov of lake Kawaguchiko in full red peak last year.

What do you mean with difference between "momiji" and "momijigari"? Of course I want to see the red maples, yellow trees (ginko) can be easily found in my country too.
by Valerio (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo in November 2024/2/9 19:02
I'm sorry for the confusion.

"Momiji" is a Japanese word that means "maple leaves".
"Kari" means "hunting".
"Momiji-gari" literally means "red leaves hunting".

But what makes the autumn leaves perfect is the unique red color of the maple leaves. Of course, the combination of greens, yellows and oranges are beautiful enough, but it's a whole new world with reds in it, and the impact of maple-leaf-red is exquisite.

I would say that Tokyo's Gai-en-mae area is fascinating whether it's the famous yellow rows of gingko or Aoyama cemetery's colorful rows of sakura, but if you have time I hope you get to see a good variation of trees with nice accents of maple.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo in November 2024/2/9 19:06
Thank you Uco, yes, I will have enough time since I am going into stay in Tokyo 2 weeks (exept I decide to return in Kyoto). But my question was another: will the period between 15-30 Nov too early to enjoy red maples in Tokyo area?

Re: Tokyo in November 2024/2/13 16:20
Nobody else can help me?

Re: Tokyo in November 2024/2/13 16:33
Valerio, itfs hard to answer because nature doesnft follow strict timetables (a human construct). Timing of the red leaves is unpredictable.
Having said that, your dates are likely to include at least some good red leaf viewing opportunities.
by Matt P (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo in November 2024/2/13 17:43

I was in Tokyo end of last November, would recommend Jingu Gaien Ginkgo Festival. Your timing could be right for the colour.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread