Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Itinerary check trip Takachiho & Aso 2024/2/8 22:58
Hello everyone,

I'm planning a month-long trip to the Kyushu area in May and seeking some advice for one particular segment of the trip. These two days are the busiest stretch of the entire trip, and I want to strike a balance between making the most of our time and avoiding feeling rushed. I'd love your input on the feasibility of this portion of the trip.

We'll be spending two days and nights in the Takachiho, Aso, and Kurokawa Onsen area. Traveling with a rental car and my less-experienced travel and hiking partner, I've outlined the following itinerary:

Day 1 (May 28th): Takachiho

07:30 - 09:40: Drive from Beppu to Takachicho (2h10m), park at our hotel (Solest Takachiho Hotel)
10:00 - 10:20: Walk to Takachicho Gorge/Manai waterfall (20 min)
10:30 - 11:00: Rent a boat at Takachiho Gorge (30 min)
11:30 - 12:15: Lunch Nagashi Soumen Noodles at Chiho no le Teahouse (30-40 min)
12:15 - 13:15: Walk Takachiho Promenade and Kyushu Nature Trail (60 min)
13:30 - 14:30: Visit Amano Iwato Shrine (12 min with our car) (60 min)
18:00: Dinner at hotel
19:40-21:00: Takachiho Shrine for Kagura performance (starts 8 pm)

Day 2 (May 29th): Aso & Kurokawa

8:00-8:45: Drive to Kamishikimi Kumanoimasu Shrine (45 min)
08:45-09:30: Walk Kamishikimi Kumanoimasu Shrine (45 min)
09:30-10:30: Drive to Aso Nakadake Crater (33 min), walk around (30 min)
10:30-10:40: Drive to Aso Vulcano museum (6 min)
10:40-11:40: Visit Aso Vulcano museum (60 min)
11:40-12:40: Hike Mount Eboshi trail loop & kusasenri (4 km) (60 min), eat lunch that we brought along (?)
12:40-13:00: Drive to Komezuka (8 min), enjoy the view (10 min)
13:00-14:00: Drive via milk road to Daikanbo lookout (47 min), enjoy the view (10 min)
14:00-15:30: Drive to (30 min) and visit kuju flower park (60 min)
15:30-15:50: Drive to Kurokawa (22 min), check-in at our ryokan and relax

Day 3 (May 30th): Drive to Nagasaki
Option to stop at Nabegataki Falls on our way

Some questions remain regarding this itinerary:

- In general, does the itinerary seem logical and doable?
- Are there any significant attractions we're missing?

Takachiho Area:
- Is renting a boat at Takachiho worthwhile, or would our time be better spent elsewhere? Is it necessary - to reserve a boat online?
- When is the best time to visit Kunimigaoka Platform to potentially view the cloud forest?After visiting Amano Iwato Shrine and before dinner, or the next day in the morning before heading to Aso, or skip?

Aso Area:
- Is the Eboshi trail a nice hike to include in this itinerary? Or can you recommend an alternative easy hike in the Aso area that is worthwhile?
- Are the allocated timeframes sufficient for each spot in the Aso area?
- Is it still worth visiting the Nakadake Crater area despite potential eruption danger? Because I read that the Nakadake crater is currently closed off?
- Is Yamabuki Springhead worth visiting, or should we prioritize other spots? I have not included it now because the schedule was already quite full.
- Any suggestions for lunch spots along the Aso route? I was initially thinking about lunching at Kuju Winery (my partner is a viticulturist), but i think it would be too late in the afternoon, and at the cost of our time at our ryokan (I think we will need it after these 2 days ;) )

Thank you in advance for your help; it's greatly appreciated!!

by NA Schr  

Re: Itinerary check trip Takachiho & Aso 2024/2/9 08:37
Day 1 is nice.
Day 2 is busy.
Day 3 you pass a few of Day 2 sights.

Might wanna leave a few Day 2 sights for Day 3.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check trip Takachiho & Aso 2024/2/9 08:38
Since you are in a car. You might wanna check out Yanagawa for the old town and canal boats. If you have time.

Re: Itinerary check trip Takachiho & Aso 2024/2/10 18:10
Thank you, H, for your help! Perhaps we could move the Kuju Flower Park to day 3, before heading to Nagasaki. Yanagawa also looks really nice, I'll see if I can add it to the itinerary when we are in Fukuoka for a few days.

Do you have any feedback on the other questions, eg about the eboshi trail or visiting the nakadeka crater?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
by NA Schr rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check trip Takachiho & Aso 2024/2/10 18:20
I wouldnt go adding more sights. You dont really have time to do the ones you got.

Kuju Flower Gardens is east of Kurokawa, Nagasaki it west. Sights like the milk road make more sense when traveling to Nagasaki.

I'd suggest looking at a map and figure out a plan of attack.

Re: Itinerary check trip Takachiho & Aso 2024/2/10 20:12
If youfre in Kyushu for a month, why have you planned Beppu to Nagasaki via Takachiho in 3 days?

The pace of your planned trip (and the intense scheduling) leave me breathless, but I guess thatfs your travel style
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread