Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Cybersecurity Opportunities for Foreigners? 2024/2/14 05:12
Hello!

I'm a 19M from the US. I'm working towards my bachelor's in Cybersecurity (will finish by 2026). For those familiar with the field, I'm looking towards getting my CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) and RHSCA (Red Hat Systems Certified Administrator) certifications by the time I graduate. Over the past year, I've been thinking about the possibility of moving to Japan, but wanted to know if there was any opportunities for cybersecurity analysts here, and for those in said field, what it's like over there, salary-wise and what you do on daily basis.

I'm looking to work for an IT company here to gain some experience and possibly get more certifications along the way to maybe stand out a little more. I'm mainly looking to get away from the States because Japan looks to be a bit safer, calm, and the overall culture has been an interest of mine since I was about 13. I briefly considered Temple's Japan campus, but heard about the...less than favorable reviews about it.

Nothing is, of course, set in stone for me. I'm just looking to see if there's demand there, and for those in cybersecurity, what the pay and typically work day is like.
by T3mpest  

Re: Cybersecurity Opportunities for Foreigners? 2024/2/14 13:54
There are a few things to consider before moving to Japan to work, especially in the field you're interested in. Firstly, only a company in Japan can really tell you what they're willing to pay you. Generally speaking, you're going to get paid far less than if you worked in the USA in the same field.

What is your Japanese skill level at? If you'd be working in a Japanese company in cybersecurity, they would most likely want at least conversational level speaking and writing in Japanese, if not higher.

Have you ever visited Japan before? I ask because there are lots of people who glorify coming to Japan and wanting to work thinking it's going to be like something you've watched in some anime series. Work life in Japan is EXTREMELY stressful and tiring. I've worked in Japan myself and it's not what you imagine it to be. Long hours, lots of overtime, getting paid far less than what you should be, etc.

There are many things to consider when moving to Japan and it's not some amazing haven that lots of people think it is. The real world is stressful, tiring and demanding. Not trying to steer you away, just making you realize what you're in for if you came to Japan since lots of young people have strong ambitions without realizing what they're getting themselves into.

If you want to know salary or working conditions, I'd honestly just look for companies online in what you'd be interested in and see what they have to say. You are still 2 years out keep in mind, so things could change by then too.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cybersecurity Opportunities for Foreigners? 2024/2/15 00:19
Thank you for the response.

I'm heading to Kyoto next year in the spring with a close friend. His aunt used to be an English teacher there in the early 2000s. Truly, I was never dead set on wanting to move to Japan, but wanted to actually see if it'd even be worth it. Going to the country itself would definitely influence my decision a little more.

I did discover the culture through anime, but have sort of moved on from my interests in anime and more towards the culture as a whole. As for my Japanese skills, I can hold very simple conversations and write very basic Japanese, but I've been diligently working at improving them as of late. I'm hoping to at least hit at minimum N4 by 2026.

I have also looked into the work conditions. I'm not expecting it to be sunshine and rainbows. On one hand, I've heard a few responses say the conditions purely depend on where you go, but on the other hand, like you stated, I've heard some say the work conditions are tiring and demanding.
by T3mpest rate this post as useful

Re: Cybersecurity Opportunities for Foreigners? 2024/2/15 02:08
I can't comment on cyber security, but can confirm that living in Japan is much different than visiting Japan

I don't know you, but I am a reserved and slightly introverted person and found living in Japan challenging due to my personality traits along with how Japanese culture operates.

Your employer will also vary greatly in how they treat staff. Wages have not really increased much since the bubble years and with the crashing Japanese yen wages are not that attractive.

Also never underestimate how long it will take to learn to read and write the language as well.

Others will have more experience than I
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Cybersecurity Opportunities for Foreigners? 2024/2/16 11:49
I would definitely visit first before making the choice to come to live and work in a country in which you don't really know about. You mentioned you were influenced a bit by anime, but please don't look at anime and then think Japan is like that, lol. Anime is VERY different from the real Japan and places you go to, it's not like you're going to see anime characters everywhere. I think some people get the notion of Japan being this "amazing haven" from watching anime, like the country is some kind of fantasy world.

It's good to have expectations, but even N4 level may not be good enough for what you're trying to do, especially for the field you're going to school for. Going to visit in Japan will at least give you an idea of what what the culture is like, but won't show you everything.

Visiting on a holiday vs. Living/working in Japan are to ENTIRELY different things. I had loved Japan when I came to visit before I worked in Japan and thought it was going to be amazing. It was the hardest experience I've had in my life when it came to the work world and very stressful too. Just do keep this in mind if you plan to work in Japan in the future. The Yen is extremely weak right now too and still falling to this day, so traveling is more difficult when you're getting paid in yen compared to dollars.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cybersecurity Opportunities for Foreigners? 2024/2/17 00:10
Hello,

I donft see Japan as this sort of gfantasyh that anime makes it seem. Never did, to be honest. It was just that sort of gateway to gain my interest. I really donft watch anime that much any more; I primarily focus of my interests toward the language and culture itself.

Again, I was just curious to see if there was demand over here. Nothing set in stone, of course.
by T3mpest rate this post as useful

Re: Cybersecurity Opportunities for Foreigners? 2024/2/17 22:15
A few things for you.

Graduating with a degree in cybersecurity, computer engineering or similar, unless you intern with a company and stick with them, chances are you are starting out on the Help Desk or in Security Operations.

Having worked as a CIO and CISO, and in the cybersecurity and IT field for 40 years, with Japanese and primarily American clients, no one I have worked with would start out a college grad in a key cyber position, they will all be entry level positions. My clients who have Japanese ops have Japanese natives in the positions because the operating systems, applications etc. are primarily in Japanese language and technical nuances of cyber in translation of Japanese to English and English to Japanese can be challenging. Without an N2 or better it is difficult to find employment in Japanese companies.

I would suggest this...

...look at USA or European or Australian based companies that have major operations in Japan, they may have IT staff there and occasionally have openings. Most of these companies with expats will conduct business primarily in English in the office and the versions of Windows, Mac, etc will be in English language most likely. I worked for 15 years at Booz Allen Hamilton , including 5 years as their Global CISO, and worked out of there Tokyo offices many times, I have colleagues at McKinsey and Boston Consulting Group who did the same. Many companies have large expat contingents in Japan.

...look at local entities that operate in Japan but cater to foreigners such as the chambers of commerce of different countries...e.g. the American Chamber of Commerce Japan...or places such as the Tokyo American Club (my daughter got her first job there when she first moved to Japan) or foreign schools such as the American School in Japan (ASIJ - my alma mater) or Canadian School or others. There are many opportunities to work in IT in these kinds of companies but the jobs will be few as most don't have dedicate cyber staff but will have dedicated IT staff. You mentioned Temple University, why not look at Temple University Japan for a job?

...look at USA Jobs...occasionally the US Embassy or Consulates will be hiring for federal workers in Japan in IT so you could be a US federal employee in one of these places

If you want to discuss more about careers in cybersecurity as well as in Japan, let me know, happy to help.

Thanks.

Stan

by USC4Ever rate this post as useful

Re: Cybersecurity Opportunities for Foreigners? 2024/2/18 04:13
The last poster knows more about your profession that I do, apart from one minor area mentioned. International schools such as ASIJ and the like.

They do employ foreigners, but almost never with a visa attached. There was a glut of general it degrees from former students from these schools with some general IT work experience in the states.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread