Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Nara day trip 2024/2/16 03:37
Planning a rough day trip to Nara from Kyoto.

RE: Kofukuji temple, with the Pagoda and Central Golden Hall closed for construction, is it worth it to come here to see Eastern golden hall and National Treasure Museum?

Have Todaji (Nandaimon Gate, Daibutsuden Hall and Nigatsudo Hall), Kasuga Taisha, Nara National Museum, Isuien Garden and Yoshikeign Garden and Nara Park also on itinerary.

Does this look doable as a day trip?

by Plambers  

Re: Nara day trip 2024/2/16 07:32
RE: Kofukuji temple, with the Pagoda and Central Golden Hall closed for construction, is it worth it to come here to see Eastern golden hall and National Treasure Museum?

Actually, the Eastern Hall is currently closed, and the Central Hall reopened. Whether it is worth it? First of all, it is located in a place where most people pass anyway. It is difficult to do sightseeing in Nara and not come across Kofukuji. Secondly, it depends on your interests. If you like Buddhist statues, then you should not miss the National Treasure Museum. I think it is the most beautiful museum for Buddhist statues in all of Japan. Likewise, if you are interested in history, I definitely recommend a visit, because it is such a prominent temple. Even if you are not particualrly interested in statues and history, it is still an outstanding temple, although considerably impacted by the construction.

Does this look doable as a day trip?

It is a lot. You better start your day early, in which case it is doable if you travel at a relatively fast pace.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Nara day trip 2024/2/16 13:36
It's feasible as below:

[9:00]JR Nara Station-[9:20]Kofukuji Temple(Three Storied Pagoda,Nanendo,Fve Storied Pagoda,Central Golden Hall,Treasure Museum)[10:00]-[10:10]Isuien Garden[10:55]-[11:00]Yoshikien Garden[11:30]-[11:35]Nara National Museum(Butsuzokan)[12:05]-[12:10]Restaurant[13:00]-[13:05]Nara Park[13:20]-[13:25]Nandaimon Gate[13:35]-[13:45]Daibutsuden Hall[14:15]-[14:30]Nigatsudo Hall[14:45]-[16:05]Kasuga Taisha Shrine[16:35]-[17:15]JR Nara Station

Please be noted that the above tour is walking tour all the way, which takes more than 20,000 steps.
If you have difficulty for walking, you may take buses on the way.
by Kakuhiro rate this post as useful

Re: Nara day trip 2024/2/23 09:32
Not sure how energetic you are, but I stopped off at Uji on my day trip from Kyoto to Nara and remember it very fondly. Green tea is the specialty of Uji, and the river is very special with my walk over the river being the highlight. The Tale of Genji (a Japanese literature classic) was set in the town of Uji. This was the reason for my stopping off to visit Uji. The bridge over the river is part of the story I believe. Walking down to the river from the station didnft take too long. A short stop over between trains from Kyoto to Nara.
by JanitaEK rate this post as useful

Re: Nara day trip 2024/2/24 01:25
I was wondring how much time Uji needed but if its a special but short walk I might add that to our day. thanks
by Plambers rate this post as useful

Re: Nara day trip 2024/2/24 02:20
It's absolutely worth it, Feeding the deer is an experience too. Todaiji is just stunning.
https://goo.gl/LfvWnL

If you don't linger too long and get an early morning start, you could take half a day to see Nara Park and the rest to see Uji, which has some very good sights too.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread