Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Onsen in central Tokyo 2024/2/16 22:38
Last time in Japan I stayed at a hotel that had their own onsen on the roof floor. Located in Tokyo. Not sure if I can visit the same bath again being a non staying guest.

I know of Oedo onsen monogatari but they won't allow people with tattoos.
by Point (guest)  

Re: Onsen in central Tokyo 2024/2/17 07:19
Oedo onsen monogatari closed a long time ago.

With a tattoo in Tokyo your best bet is a sento rather than a super sento.

There are many across town. For me it works to just look for gonsenh on google maps in a relatively small area and I find several.

I am actually heading tonight to this one in Shinagawa which even has a rotenburo, real onsen water and allows tattoos.
http://www.shimizuyu.com/

But there are many more everywhere across town.

I personally like super sentos generally better but nearly all of them have a strict no tattoos policy.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen in central Tokyo 2024/2/17 07:45
What is a super sento? Thsnks for the reply too
by Point (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen in central Tokyo 2024/2/17 08:14
A sento is a small neighborhood bath. Often w/o a rotenburo and generally using heated water rather than onsen water (exceptions apply)
A super sento is bigger has a lot more pools, has (several ) rotenburo and either uses heated water or a combination of onsen and heated water. It also generally has a restaurant and otger facilities (manga room, hairdresser, massage, relax roomc). They can often be in very ugly parts of a town that are easy to reach by car/ public transport and you can easily spend several hours there
Here an example: https://www.ousama2603.com/shop/ooimachi/bath.html

Generally speaking at supersentos itfs unlikely youfll be able to go with a tattoo (unless you can cover it) at sentos your chance is higher.
The line between the two is somewhat fluid.

The oedo monogatari was a supersento.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen in central Tokyo 2024/2/17 08:27
I went to a bath in Shodoshima near the olive garden, had sauna, outdoor bath, yacuci like bath etc. Not sure what that is. I went in with a small tattoo but no one seemed to bother. Mostly older men there, locals I suppose.

I get the feeling middle class families not from the area are more bothered by tattoos than other, but it might be a miss conception.

The sento (?) near Sakurajima ferry was clearly mentioning no tattoos though but it was okay covered Up
by Point (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread