Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What do i need to make soba noodles 2005/7/10 02:55
I would like to make Soba Noodles . I know that i must heve Soba and wheatflour . But i don`t know how much i need . And how much water ?

O henji kudasai .
by Ute  

Soba 2005/7/12 01:41
We usually buy the soba pre-packaged like you would buy spaghetti. You cook them and add the sauce. No need to use flower yourself.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

There's a book on it... 2005/7/12 03:06
There is a book:
The Book of Soba (Paperback)
by James Udesky

I have it but haven't had the courage or time to try it.

In answer to your question, from the Amazon's review on the above book:

Keep in mind that the two most imprtant elements for making successful soba noodles are obtaining fresh and sufficiently sifted flour, and then performing the initial mixing of the water into the flour in such a way as to allow the buckwheat to develop its own viscosity.

INGREDIENTS
Makes 2 1/2 pounds (1.1 kg)
5 1/4 cups buckwheat flour (700 g)
2 1/4 cups wheat flour (300 g)
2 cups water (480 cc)

EQUIPMENT
Cutting boad
Rolling pin
Brad, well-sharpened kitchen knife
Plastic wrap
Large mixing bowl
Strainers

Like the previous poster, I buy the packaged type or better yet, the frozen type.

Cheers
by MY rate this post as useful

. 2005/7/12 03:20
Hi. On a web-page, it says you need soba 70% and flour 30%, but I have not found how much water you need. I guess you know (same as Italian pasta making) that you need some flour to sprinkle on the paste you are on the way of making.
by TOSHI rate this post as useful

Thank your for the Help 2005/7/12 16:14
Many thanks for helping me .

O henji domou arigatou gozaimasu .
by Ute rate this post as useful

Soba making from a Japanese master... 2007/2/4 05:30
1. In a big bowl, mix 350g of soba-flour, 150g of wheat flour and 160ml of water until the mixture is crumbly.

2. Add 40ml to 60ml of water, mixing until the dough is as soft as an earlobe.

3. Knead it till it makes a sucking sound when pulled off the side of the bowl.

4. Shape it into a ball. Make sure the surface is completely smooth.

5. On a table, flatten it with your palm, and then roll it out into a square 2mm thick.

6. Fold it into quarters and cut at 2mm width.
by roberto san rate this post as useful

what about the UCHIKO flour 2008/3/18 02:17
Jusat before the cutting stage, and prior to the folding over 4 times - it is advised to cover each fold with a liberal sprinkling of uchiko flour. The noodles when cut shopld be dropped from the cut directley into a pan of boiling water.
by Bermondsey Bill rate this post as useful

reply to this thread