Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Hiking late October 2024/3/2 06:22
Planning for a trip to Japan in late autumn. What about hiking the Japanese alps?

Trying to aim for Norikura-dake, Hakusan, etc. But not sure if the summits are snow covered already and not possible to hike that late.

by Pancake (guest)  

Re: Hiking late October 2024/3/2 14:24
That more early to mid autumn. I doubt you'll have any issues with what you are suggesting.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking late October 2024/3/2 17:49
Actually late October might be too late for Hakusan. I went cycling there last year at the beginning of October and it was right after the first snow had fallen on Fuji (and also Hakusan and many other mountains in the region) I was cycling in the valley so no problem but I remember how enchanted I was seeing all these high mountains around me with their thin snow capes.

Hakuba on 8/Oct/23
http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2023/10/d3-to-hakuba.html?m=1

It will depend on the year but please have an alternative planned. Or try to come in September instead.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking late October 2024/3/4 21:30
I have been thinking of september, what bugs me most though are the possible frequency of typhoons (and perhaps thunderstorms). I was hiking in the mountains right by Kamikochi hearing thunder in the distance was quite a terrifying event as I had at least an hour of hiking to safer ground.

I was thinking about Fuji-san as well but the hoardes of people and sardine like packing in the resthouses have made me think there are more interesting mountains (since my main reason for hiking in the mountains are the secluding feeling and the event of time to time meeting a few fellow hikers, not thousands of hikers who barely bother about your existence.
by Pancake (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking late October 2024/3/4 22:09
Not a hiker here. But I think you just need to be flexible with the weather. Cycling in rain is still kind of okay. But with hiking you need to be safer. End October for sure isnft bad timing for hiking but the highest peaks of the Japanese Alps may be already too late.
In regards to Fuji I totally get you. There are so many other nice mountains to hike and Fuji doesnft seem to be one of them. Itfs more like a bucket list item.
I hope some hiker comes across this post and has some advise for you.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking late October 2024/3/5 03:34
If you could be flexible, the Southern mountains in Kyushu and Shikoku may be more suitable depending on how the weather goes.
by Denis C rate this post as useful

reply to this thread