Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Kyushu Expressway Pass questions 2024/3/3 03:19
We are planning a trip around Kyushu in May. We will be renting a car and will be doing a lot of driving, for a total of 15 consecutive days. We are planning to buy a Kyushu Expressway Pass (KEP), which I believe allows unlimited use of the toll roads - an "all-you-can-eat" plan. (Yes, I know there are some specific roads that are not covered, that's OK). My question is about the duration of the plans and how to buy.

I see places offer the plan in various "days" from 1 to 11 days if I recall correctly. If we need a pass for 15 days, does anyone sell a 15-day pass? Or do we just buy an 11 day pass, and then another pass for 4 days?

Thanks for the clarification.
by Robo Bobo (guest)  

Re: Kyushu Expressway Pass questions 2024/3/3 06:24
https://global.w-nexco.co.jp/en/kep/

It covers about 90% of the expressways. The website has a map of what is and isn't covered.

Yes you'll need 2 separate passes to cover 15 days. Just pick a balance to arrive at a lower total cost.

You might have a day where you don't need a pass. Have the changeover on that day for example.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu Expressway Pass questions 2024/3/5 18:39
Thank you, that's good advice. I think I have our plans firmed up enough now to make reasonable choices for the KEP.

One question - I'm pretty sure but wanted to confirm:

I assume for the KEP, the pass is for CONSECUTIVE days: you buy a 5 day pass, and it's good for 5 days in a row. You can't buy a 5-day pass, use it for 2 days, wait a few days, then restart the pass and use it for another 3 days. Once you start using the pass on Day 1, it expires four days later (whether you use it or not).

Correct?

Thank you.
by Robo Bobo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu Expressway Pass questions 2024/3/5 19:46
It's valid for consecutive days.
by KyushuLocal rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu Expressway Pass questions 2024/3/5 20:23
Thank you!

Re: Kyushu Expressway Pass questions 2024/3/6 16:25
And now one more question...

I've been looking at the websites where I can rent a car, with the KEP and ETC card. I see the option to add a KEP and ETC. But I only see the option to purchase a single KEP (the website appears to automatically assume I want the KEP for the full time that I rent the car). If I want to get a KEP for 4 days, and then get another KEP for 6 days to use later in the trip, I do not see any way to order more than one. Is this not possible? Or should I just order the first one, then contact the rental agency via email to add the second KEP?

In our case, the KEP is not useful for a portion of our trip - when we are in the central parts of Kyushu. The KEP looks great if you are driving near a coastline, north, south, east or west...but NOT in the center. When we are in Aso National Park for a few days (far from the coast and far from any expressway that uses the KEP), the pass would not be useful, and there is no reason to pay for a pass for those days.

How does one go about ordering two (separate) KEPs and having some days in between with the rental car but away from expressways?

Thanks!

Re: Kyushu Expressway Pass questions 2024/3/11 13:38
I have run into a new wrinkle with our plans...

We need to rent a car. We want to have a KEP (Kyushu Expressway Pass) for some, but not all of the days when we have the car. Actually, we need a 4-day KEP pass for the beginning of our trip (Day 1 - Day 4), but then we will also need another KEP Pass (for another 6 days) later in the trip (Day 7 - Day 12). We do not need a KEP on Days 5 or 6 since we will be entirely within Aso National Park on those days - there are no Expressways there, so no use for the Pass. So we want a separate pass for Days 7 to 12. After we reach Nagasaki (on Day 12) we will not need a pass then either (we will be in the city of Nagasaki and after that on smaller roads, no pass needed). So we do not need a pass on Days 13 - 16 either.

At the first company I contacted to rent the car, to keep things simple (I thought...) I asked for the price for a KEP for 16 days (since their system appeared to assume you wanted a KEP for the entire rental period). They told me that they can only sell a KEP for a maximum of 10 days, and that there is no price for a 16 day pass. They also told me that the required ETC card (reader?) can only be rented for a maximum of 14 days, and if they rent the car to us for 16 days, they will not provide the ETC card/reader - at all!

I was shocked to be told this. The company agent just told me he would not rent me the car if I wanted it for more than 14 days! Does anyone know if this is true (for all rental companies)?

Has anyone here ever rented a car in Kyushu (or in Japan) for MORE than 14 days AND used 1 or more KEP passes for a total of more than 14 days?

I just tried contacting 2 other companies, I am hoping I will not get the same answer from the others. Thank you for any insights you can offer.

reply to this thread