Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Name change after COE submitted 2024/3/6 05:06
Hi everyone

More than 7 months ago I started a first name change procedure. The spelling on my first name had always been incorrect so I made the change (they basically just added one letter at the end of my first name but no change on my middle and family name). However, I recently got the official update confirmation and I can now apply for a new passport with the new spelling.

The problem is that, one month ago, I managed to find a job in Japan and the company applied for the COE with my current passport that have the gwrong spellingh on it.
The thing is, when I applied for the name change, they told me that It could take more than a year to get processed. Also fast forward, on late January, when I got the offer from this Japan company, I couldnft delay the visa application and wait for the name update as there is no standard procedure duration.
Does that means I need to tell the company to withdraw the application and reapply with the new passport ?
Because honestly, until I order a new passport, my current passport is still active and I could actually received the visa and go to Japan with this one (6 years left before it expires). Also good to mention that, the name spelling on my college degree I provided with my visa application match the one on my current passport and I have a record of a student visa with this one as well.
So I feel like If I reapply after getting the new passport, the situation will become even more complicated. But I also feel like, if I settle in Japan with the current passport, it might become a nightmare later on when this passport expiresc

Therefore, I wonder if there is a possibility to get things sorted out at the Japanese embassy when applying for the actual visa once I got the COE ?

Thank you for reading me.
by Someonelse (guest)  

Re: Name change after COE submitted 2024/3/6 17:31
in general, the name in the certificate which shows your degree is unchangeable. you can prove it is yours by a combination of the original certificate (old name) and the certificate which shows that you changed the name on a certain date.
about a passport, you should get a new passport. if you use the old one, you intentionally use the old one, although you know it is incorrect. ( it appears to be still active, because you don't update your passport. it does not mean it is really active.)

Japan is the country which requests the accuracy for everything.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Name change after COE submitted 2024/3/7 21:16
The difficulty here is that:
- Your old name is on your current passport, your diploma, employment offer letter, etc., everything that has been submitted to immigration.

- Your gnewh name has been approved, but is not yet on any official documents, I assume.
Once you apply for a new passport, get one issued, and void the old passport, your old name, which appears everywhere in the documents submitted to immigration, will need to be explained.

You might want to consider asking the company what you should do. Maybe they have a lawyer with whom they could consult? Maybe there is a way to gamendh your application, or provide additional information to the application.

In the meantime, is there any official paper issued by your countryfs government about your name change?
Also, is there any process in your country that officially allows you to attach the new passport together with the old one (to show that it is one and the same person)? Sometimes, for example when a visa is left still valid on an old passport that is expiring, they (at least used to) attach the two passports together so that the visa will remain valid, though the old passport expires.

Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Name change after COE submitted 2024/3/7 22:56
Thank you for replies.

From what heard it seems complicated to amend an COE procedure. Sometimes immigration might ask additional documents but itfs about it. I fear that they might want me to reapply with every documents updated but honestly it would takes months. Even getting an appointment to get a new passport takes forever.
Here what I consider:
Since my passport is still active until I get a new one, I plan to keep it and get my visa. Once I got my resident card in Japan, Ifll apply for a new passport at the embassy of my country and then get my resident card updated with the new passport. Itfs seems like if you bring your old passport as proof and your new passport, they update your resident card because your name as to match on both.

What do you think ?

Thank you for reading me.
by Someoneelse (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Name change after COE submitted 2024/3/8 10:29
So currently, your name change has been approved, but the new name does not yet appear anywhere in any official document, I assume?

If getting an appointment to get a new passport would take months, then you have no choice but to proceed with the current passport/application, Ifd say.

And since right now, your name as it appears on all documents match, including the one on your passport, that should be the most stress-free way to go (I mean, you cannot change your name on your diploma/degree, so for every document youfd need to give an explanation). Best wishes that things go smooth.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Name change after COE submitted 2024/3/8 11:09
I don't understand what you say.
if you bring two passports with old name and new name, it does mean nothing. you need to prove that the the two passport holders are the same person. it is proved by the official certificate of your name change.
the problems are the date when your name was changed officially. the principle rule is that you can't use your old name after that date.

for your case, the date arrangement is :
application for COE -- name change is approved -- application for visa -- entry to Japan --

ask the Japanese embassy in your country whether you can use the COE(old name) with your new passport (new name) and the name change certificate when you apply your visa.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Name change after COE submitted 2024/3/9 12:11
Thank you again for your replies.

So I search up a bit and from what I understand , having both passport seems to be enough to update your resident card. ΁fll also have ready a birth certificate as it also state about name change. In my case the difference is just one letter in my first name.

I have contacted the Japanese embassy in the country where I live and they told me that they cannot take decision regarding the COE and that I should contact the immigration through my futur company.
But as I mentioned in my previous message, all my documents and degree have the old spelling of my name on it and I donft think I will get a new passport before departure.(close to 6 months of waiting list)
by Someoneelse (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread