Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Tipping Etiquette 2024/3/10 17:19
It is some time since we have visited Japan (6 trips between 2008 and 2015)
I have always understood that tipping is not expected in Japan (I once left some small coins change in a taxi payment area and the driver followed me down the street to return them!)

However I have seen information on tour websites that tipping is expected.
(friends have shown me the literature of the holiday they have decided to go on "Trip a deal", a tour company from Australia, and tipping is definitely mentioned as a "thing"......)

We are doing a day tour to Mt Fuji and Hakone, returning by Shinkansen from Odawara

Should we tip the guide and driver? If so how much??

I am concerned about causing offence, either by tipping, or by NOT tipping?

Help appreciated! Thank you

by AusTF  

Re: Tipping Etiquette 2024/3/11 05:53
My extended family went last year for two weeks with a travel agency, in a group tour. They were accompanied by the same guide the whole time, and tipping was indeed expected (only for the guide, not the driver). I don't remember the amount. You could ask the company, maybe?
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping Etiquette 2024/3/11 06:51
DON'T TIP!

Tipping in Japan is not a thing and a disgusting practice.
Companies like trip-a-deal and some other low cost operators and try to make more money off people - what they are talking about demonstrates how they really don't know the country they are supposed to be showing you. I've heard and seen this for several companies - they should pay their staff properly.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping Etiquette 2024/3/11 06:56
Japan Custom Tours THANK YOU!
That makes me feel a whole lot more comfortable about the etiquette around the whole thing
Thanks again
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping Etiquette 2024/3/11 08:08
@AusTF I think what @JCT wants to say is that you should look for another , more reputable/knowledgable tour operator.
And yes, tipping is definitely not a thing in Japan. If a company suggest is I think you should not use such a company
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping Etiquette 2024/3/11 09:17
Thanks LikeBike
Our day trip is through Viator and I have not seen tipping on that trip mentioned
The people doing trip a deal have their own decisions to make. That is not us.

Re: Tipping Etiquette 2024/3/11 23:16
Tipping is not a "thing" and is not "expected", and if a company says it is, don't trust them, but it's not uncommon to tip people like taxi drivers and ryokan room attendants. But make sure you clarify that it's for them by saying things like "keep the change" (as in the case of taxis) or putting it in a tiny envelope (as in ryokan). Also, a while ago, forum members realized that some hotel restaurants ask for a fixed "service charge". Meanwhile, if you want to express extra gratitude to others, give them a tiny gift rather than cash.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping Etiquette 2024/3/12 00:51
Thank you Uno: we always bring small gifts for such occasions, and that advice is great: thanks

Re: Tipping Etiquette 2024/3/15 23:26
A gift is definitely better. If you give money, staff will assume it's for the company (and it's too much so they give it back), but a gift is personal.

I've given a small gift on a few occasions and the responsive was always a joy to see: "ureshii!" (I'm so happy!) - I love seeing people happy, so it brings me joy as well.

I would recommend bringing something from your own country, that you cannot easily find in Japan, even if it's something cringingly touristy :)
Just don't overdo it. It's the thought that counts.
by thany rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping Etiquette 2024/3/16 09:36
Thanks thany, and my apologies for the mistype in my above response Uco

We always bring small gifts so I am glad to know these will be appropriate.

I get the message, we do not need to consider tipping.

never thought we did, but it is good to have all this confirmed.

Thanks to everyone.

reply to this thread