Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Do all local trains have ticket dispensers? 2024/3/13 21:51
Hello, I'm currently in Kagoshima and am planning to stop off at an unmanned station along the Nippo Main Line, and returning using the same station later in the day.

I've seen ticket dispensers on several other local trains that I've ridden, but on the times I rode on local trains on the Nippo Line so far, I haven't seen any. I'm wondering maybe I didn't notice them, because at the time I wasn't looking for them.

As I understand, to board a local train from an unmanned station without any ticket machines in Japan, I should take a ticket from the ticket dispenser on the train itself.

Which brings me to my question: is it safe to assume that all local trains in Japan that stop at such unmanned stations have ticket dispensers on board?

Knowing this (or what the alternative is) would save me a lot of anxiety, haha. Thanks.
by lefrost  

Re: Do all local trains have ticket dispensers? 2024/3/14 05:51
In case of stations that have no ticket gates (or only IC card sensors), you will have to pay the fare for paper tickets on board of the train - usually at a machine behind the driver. When boarding at such a station, you can usually board only through selected doors and will need to pick up a numbered ticket from a machine when entering to verify at what station you entered.

The system is similar to the system used in buses, which is explained here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2015.html

by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread