Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Finding a job before arriving in Japan 2024/3/20 12:24
Hi everyone, once I become an Australian citizen I am looking into applying for a working holiday visa, and my question is, should I try finding a job before I make my application, or when I am already at Japan? I know this is a probably a case-by-case thing, but I've been looking at some part time/min wage jobs (that are OK with foreigners) and I was curious if they would only hire if I was already in Japan. I assume they would not, but I am pretty ignorant about this (as I am sure you can tell).

I know some companies will hire before you arrive in Japan, but I don't know if that applies for these part time jobs.
by TwilightSymphony  

Re: Finding a job before arriving in Japan 2024/3/21 13:33
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to come to Japan BEFORE you apply to work in Japan? What's your goal exactly?

If you get offered a job, you still need a valid working holiday visa or work visa before you can do that. If a company offers to hire you before you get the visa, I wouldn't trust that because that's shady and illegal as it is. I would just get the work visa first before going to Japan.

For example, if you came to Japan on a tourist visa and were working for the company before you even got the work visa, you could easily get in big trouble by immigration if they found out and you'd be kicked out of Japan and barred for 10 years at least.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Finding a job before arriving in Japan 2024/3/21 15:15
RE - Tom.

They are getting a Working Holiday Visa.

They are trying to work out if it's better to try and get a job before OR after getting to Japan.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Finding a job before arriving in Japan 2024/3/22 11:45
I understand now. Still, I wouldn't go to Japan with the promise of a company getting you a visa, because you technically can't work since you don't have the visa yet. Plus, if the company can't get the visa for some reason, that would be terrible and you'd literally just be working illegally.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Finding a job before arriving in Japan 2024/3/22 12:57
Tom - No you still don't understand. Your explaining a work visa and its conditions. OP is looking at getting working holiday visa.

To OP - Since part of the condition is you work a certain amount of time while in Japan. I'd want at least something lined up for a few weeks minimum before entering. I don't think you are required to do so. But doesn't mean you don't have to.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Finding a job before arriving in Japan 2024/3/22 16:19
RE - H

You are correct. I am looking into getting a work holiday visa (https://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/visa_workingholiday_en.html here for more info), not a work visa.

Regarding the last part of your reply, I see. I have been doing some research and have seen some claim that having a job is technically optional (despite the name of the visa), since it's apparently supposed to be more about a holiday than working in Japan. However, I'd definitively like to have a job arranged by the time I make my visa application, since that would make my life much easier when I am there.

by TwilightSymphony rate this post as useful

Re: Finding a job before arriving in Japan 2024/3/22 17:23
Yes that's right, as far as I know having a job lined up is not needed for working holiday visa. You don't even need to work at all if you have enough money for your trip.

The intent of the visa is a chance for people under 30 to enjoy a cultural exchange with japan.
You can have a year sightseeing, enjoying japan and your visa permits you to work a bit to subsidize your travel.

You cannot work all the time as this defeats the purpose of the visa. You won't get approved if that was your intention.

I cannot really answer your question as it would be down to the employer as to whether it's something they'd want to do.

From my perspective, a minimum wage part time job which would be unskilled (like convenience store, cleaning etc) If I was hiring I wouldn't want to be waiting around for a visa to be approved as it's a job where there's no particular skills or qualifications/experience needed and therefore I could have it easier hiring someone else already willing and ready to go.

There is always that kind of work around though, you also up your game a little if you speak some Japanese.
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Finding a job before arriving in Japan 2024/3/23 06:36
When applying for a working holiday visa in Japan, itfs generally a good idea to start looking for a job before you arrive. This can give you a better understanding of the job market and secure employment ahead of time. However, many part-time jobs, especially those that are open to hiring foreigners, may prefer or require you to be in Japan before offering employment. This is often due to the need for a face-to-face interview or to confirm your visa status.
by kiloos rate this post as useful

reply to this thread