Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Kyoto or Kanazawa and Takayama 2024/3/29 21:57
Hello,
I am going with my family (2 kids and husband ) to Japan next month.
We have 8 days to spend there and I was thinking to go to Tokyo for 5 days and 2 days in Kyoto, then Tokyo for one day before we return.
Then a friend suggested not to go to Kyoto but visit two smaller cities instead.
Kanazawa and Takayama in order to see two different Japanese cities which are less touristic than Kyoto.
What would you recommend?
Thank you
Christina
by christina (guest)  

Re: Kyoto or Kanazawa and Takayama 2024/3/30 05:53
Leaving Kyoto (and Nara too, which you should not miss) for a future trip, given your short time period, sounds like a good idea. Unless you just never see yourself ever returning to Japan in the future.
Kanazawa has a good taste of Kyoto, with far fewer people. It also has Kenrokuen, which is one of the country's most exquisite gardens.

But I found Takayama overflowing with tourists as well (and if you go there, you should not miss Shirakawago). They are all different in their own ways. You did not mention what kind of sights or experience you are seeking.

If you want to see both Kanazawa and Takayama though, I suggest you pull a day off of Tokyo for it. Just a day for either is not enough.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto or Kanazawa and Takayama 2024/3/30 06:40
8 days isn't a lot of time. It will be quick fire trip no matter where you go. I'd almost be tempted just to do Tokyo with side trips only. But if you do have a wish to try another city, then this would be my thoughts.

Takayama will be just too time consuming to travel to considering your limited number of days.

Other options that come to mind that work within 3 hours travel of Tokyo:-

Matsumoto (3hrs)
Sendai (2hrs)
Kanazawa (2.5hrs)

They are all completely different offerings. And plenty of info is out there to find on all three. Just up to you to decide which appeals to you the most.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto or Kanazawa and Takayama 2024/3/30 07:22
Kyoto will always be crowded, unless there is another pandemic. Kyoto is crowded for a good reason. If you are interested in old temples/shrines, you could explore Kamakura that is much nearer to Tokyo.
by ITO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto or Kanazawa and Takayama 2024/3/30 07:26
For a first trip, less time in Tokyo and more in Kyoto - slit 4/4 would be better.
While your friend might have good intentions, save those other places for a future visit. I certainly don't consider Kanazawa any less touristy than Kyoto, but it does have a lot less to offer and the "little Kyoto" label is wide of the mark..
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto or Kanazawa and Takayama 2024/3/31 22:46
Both options offer unique experiences. Tokyo provides urban excitement, while Kyoto offers cultural richness. Choosing Kanazawa and Takayama can provide a more off-the-beaten-path adventure, showcasing traditional Japan. Consider your family's interests—whether it's bustling cities or quieter cultural immersion—and decide accordingly. Enjoy your trip!
by oliverhen rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto or Kanazawa and Takayama 2024/4/1 22:01
Probably Kanazawa as it's only 2.5hr by bullet train from Tokyo.
You can base in Tokyo and explore the surrounding cities, such as:
Kawagoe:
https://visitjapan-vegetarian.com/the-best-guide-to-the-little-edo-kaw...

Karuizawa:
https://visitjapan-vegetarian.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-karuizawa-japa...
by Lilz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto or Kanazawa and Takayama 2024/4/1 22:11
If there is 4 of you and only 8 days, consider limiting your nightly travel movements with luggage. This is just from personal experience.

Some people comment on visiting Kamakura instead of Kyoto. Kamakura is nice - but it also gets notoriously busy near the main shrine (think Kyoto hanami levels).

Kanazawa is a different kettle of fish - I think it's a good option but it's still not Kyoto.

If it was my choice - I'd probably spend 3/4 nights in Kyoto and include a day trip to Nara which has plenty to see and do.

Kyoto also has many different locations and it's not just about visiting the same 10 or so temples in a row that people visit in hoards. Completing a bit of research of temples and such outside of the main route is a good idea.

If you also have kids - Kyoto will have more to do of interest to them than say Takayama. Do note that Kyoto also has a lot more tourist traps and is getting expensive (specifically for accomodation) as a result.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto or Kanazawa and Takayama 2024/4/2 05:06
Fly into Osaka instead if you can. Only doing Osaka and Kyoto saves a lot of time doing any long distance travelling.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread