Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Translation of two short sentences 2024/4/21 17:59
Hello,

I am trying to translate two, short sentences from a fiction story for someone. Could I ask for help, as I don't know if I did it right.
The conversation is between 2 characters who don't get along and one mindlessly sticks himself in the other person's room. The room owner says:
その線からこっちへ
断りなく入らないて
くれるかな!

I translated as:
Don't cross this line.
Don't enter here without my permission.
I wonder if you can do that for me.

Obviously it doesn't sound professional, so I changed it to:
I wonder if you can do it for me and not cross this line without my permission.

And the second sentence is a continuation of the previous dialogue (still spoken by the same person):
人にからむ前に ちゃんと責務を果たせよ
You'd better finish your duties before you pick a quarrel with someone.

However, I'm not sure about the word からむ I read that it means to "entangle; to entwine, to pick a quarrel; to find fault, to be involved with". However, someone told me that からむ means violent behavior and picking a physical fight, so maybe I should change it to "pick a fight"?

I will be grateful for help.
by Mist (guest)  

Re: Translation of two short sentences 2024/4/22 21:22
その線から こっちへ 断りなく 入らないで くれないかな

I think this is actually one sentence, saying:
- Would you mind not coming over here crossing that line without my permission!!
… in a quite strong tone/almost like a command.

About the sentence, this verb “karamu” can be used to mean a lot of different things, as you say, so noone but the author would know exactly what is meant. I guess if this sentence is said by the same person, you can look back at what the other person was trying to do by entering his room, and maybe guess what is meant. (Was he trying to come in and engage in a talk, or come in to pick a fight?)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of two short sentences 2024/4/22 22:46
Thanks for your help.
As far as karamu goes, I'm assuming this is about picking a quarrel and not a fist fight. The story is a fairly light-hearted tale, so - I guess - a serious fight would be out of place. I'm grateful for your correct translation of the first sentence, as I had a hard time guessing the character's attitude.
Thank you once again!
by Mist (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of two short sentences 2024/4/22 22:58
Yes, からむ means to pick/get entangled in a fight, but not necessarily one where physical violence is involved. That said, からむ often implies a fairly heated exchange, so sometimes native Japanese speakers will imagine there's some sort of jostling or chest-bumping involved. For example, からむ is often the go-to phrase for describing drunks at a bar getting into a heated argument with each other or the staff.

by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of two short sentences 2024/4/23 12:13
"Karamu" can mean anything from "involve (in a good way)" to "fight (in a bad way)", and I can't tell with such little context, but I have a hunch that in this case it's like "mess with".
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of two short sentences 2024/4/23 17:28
Thank you sincerely for your replies! They lightened my mind even more.
It sounds rude, but that's more or less the effect we're going for, as the character itself is very cheeky.
Karamu can mean anything from "involve (in a good way)
Sorry to ask, but can it also mean being involved romantically? Or is there a better term for this type of relationship?

Re: Translation of two short sentences 2024/4/23 18:48
can it also mean being involved romantically?

Not in the sense of "I'm involved with a guy, and we often go out together", but in filmmaking, a "karami" can mean a "sexual scene".
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of two short sentences 2024/4/23 21:06
Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't expect such a meaning of the word, but it's always good to learn something new :)

reply to this thread