Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

International to Domestic connection at HND 2024/4/22 03:48
We have a relatively short but doable connection of 2hr 10min (if everything is on time) arriving from the US at Terminal 3 at Haneda and flying out of Terminal 2 to Hiroshima.

I understand we have to:
-collect bags, go through Customs
-re-check baggage at the domestic transit counter as long as there is at least an hour until our next flight
-go though the security checkpoint for domestic flights
-Take Bus to Terminal 2 (International Transit Bus Stop)

My questions are:

Where do we check-in for our domestic flight to Hiroshima? We are flying ANA on a SEPARATE ticket from our international United flight. Ifm slightly regretting this but it was about $400 cheaper per person and we are traveling with a group of 6. Itfs a non-changeable/non-refundable fare so I canft do anything about it now.

If we arrive late or Customs is slow and there is less than one hour after we get through Customs, do we take the same bus to Terminal 2 to check our bags there?

Are there two separate buses that travel from Terminal 3 to 2? Ifm thinking there might be one that stays air-side where we go through security screening at Terminal 3, and a different one that takes you land side if we need to take bags to recheck them there?

Worst case scenario - Re-book on the one later ANA flight that goes to Hiroshima. What is the likelihood that there will be 6 available seats at the last minute? I understand we will likely not get a refund for our missed flight.

Worst worst case scenario: Try a different domestic airline and if not available, take the train from Tokyo to Hiroshima? It seems like this takes about 4 1/2 hours and isnft much longer than flying considering our hotel is only 5 mins from Hiroshima Station vs an hour from the Hiroshima airport.
by metcarl  

Re: International to Domestic connection at HND 2024/4/22 14:48
Dont worry, 130 minutes is enough from intl to domestic transfer.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: International to Domestic connection at HND 2024/4/22 15:18
You should be absolutely fine with that transfer. As I've mentioned before I've done it in 50 minutes (just). That also included having to wait for oversize luggage (a bicycle).

Your checklist is a little incorrect. You have to get the bus between terminals & THEN check in, drop your luggage, go through security etc.

There is no coach that stays air side, you have to go through immigration, change terminals & check back in again.

It would be worth checking how to get between the terminals on the Tokyo monorail just in case as that is a faster transfer but you really shouldnt need it.

Barring any major delay in your flight from the US you will be completely fine.

Enjoy Hiroshima it's wonderful.

by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: International to Domestic connection at HND 2024/4/24 23:18
This is directly from the ANA website:

gCollect any checked baggage at baggage claim and re-check your baggage at the domestic transit counter.
After going through the security checkpoint for domestic flights, please proceed to Terminal 2 using the shuttle bus for connecting passengers.h

Which sounds like I recheck bags and go through security in Terminal 3. Which also implies the bus for connecting passengers is airside?
by metcarl rate this post as useful

Re: International to Domestic connection at HND 2024/4/25 02:17
It certainly seems to read that way. It didnt work like that for JAL who I flew with. Either way you should have plenty of time.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: International to Domestic connection at HND 2024/4/25 07:54
Hi

For ANA or JAL flights, there is a domestic transfer counter in terminal 3 like you said.

I used it this year! Very fast. As long as you have over an hour (you should be fine)

Come out of the arrivals gate and turn right. It's heavily sign posted. You just show your ticket and they sort out your bags.

Then you can get the transfer bus to terminal 2 and go straight through security.

by Shelly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: International to Domestic connection at HND 2024/4/25 08:44
You should have plenty of time. Please keep in mind though that Hiroshima Airport is actually in Mihara, and it will take a 50 minute bus ride to get to Hiroshima Station. If you have the time, go visit the nice Sankeien Garden right next to the airport.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread