Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

How to live in Japan/make Japanese friends 2024/5/6 23:01
Hallo guys.
Ifm students who just watched k-on (canft believe it was end, really hope it could update forever)
For now I am really willing to learn Japanese culture or make some Japanese friends.
I believe the life in Japan could be very warm and sweet.
Is there a way to find part time jobs or summer school from July to August? I want to live just like a local Japanese and make Japanese friends.
Unfortunately I donft know any Japanese but I am willing to learn. I can fluently speak English.
Thanks for your help
Carolus
by Carolusssss  

Re: How to live in Japan/make Japanese friends 2024/5/7 07:36
Depending on your age and country of origin and residence there are working holiday visas. (This would allow you to get a small job) Alternatively if you are from a visa waiver country or can get a tourist visa you can come to Japan for tourism (not allowed to work but you could study Japanese at a language school) or alternatively if you have finished school in your home country you can get a student visa and study Japanese at a local language school (this is a longer commitment probably minimum a year to make it worthwhile all the trouble of getting that visa. This will also POTENTIALLY allow you to get a small job ).

It seems you did watch some kind of movie series about Japan, right. Movies are not reality. Yes, life in Japan can be very nice (I live here now for the third time and in total about 5,5 years) but a movie is a movie. Real life is different.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: How to live in Japan/make Japanese friends 2024/5/7 08:43
Come for a holiday first. Try it. A lot of animes make it seem like daily life is all flowers and sparkles. It can be the complete opposite.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to live in Japan/make Japanese friends 2024/5/7 22:33
Therefs lots to unpack here.

1. How old are you?
2. What country are you from?

As another commentator said, dramas and stuff arenft necessarily indicative of reality here. You should first give Japan a visit and experience life first before you make any big decisions.

There are language schools you can enroll in, but they can be pricey and the juryfs still out as to whether or not theyfre actually effective.

There are other things like English cafes and stuff you can go to, as there are plenty of people who would love to practice speaking English with you.

That would probably be a good place to start before you start applying to jobs, as I would imagine Japanese would be necessary for almost all of them.
by buntan335 rate this post as useful

Re: How to live in Japan/make Japanese friends 2024/5/7 23:56
You say you're a student. You should start by asking your school to see if there are any student exchange programs for you.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to live in Japan/make Japanese friends 2024/5/10 16:55
My daughter did a 12month student exchange to Japan about 2 years ago - but it must be organised through the correct channels and there are academic prerequisites and expectations whilst there. Shefd been to Japan 3 times before (family holidays) and was studying Japanese at school prior.
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread