Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Tachi, wareware and fun 2024/5/8 16:47
Hello! I would like to ask about a few sentences because I am not sure if I understand them correctly.

-tachi
I understand that this word means "we" "us" and we can translate it as "me and all the rest (of the group)". However, for example, if a young girl is standing in a mixed group (girls and boys), is it correct to use "atashi tachi" or rather "watashi tachi"? After all, there are also boys in the group, not just girls.

- wareware - I've read that this is a rarely used phrase and is used more in very formal meetings. However, if someone uses the phrase "wareware" when talking to a group of co-workers - does it mean that this person keeps his colleagues at a distance? He doesn't see them as colleagues and treats them only as co-workers?

フン - do we classify this word as rough? (I'm thinking of a situation where we don't like something and get irritated)

I will be grateful for your help!
by Mist (guest)  

Re: Tachi, wareware and fun 2024/5/8 18:16
-tachi
I understand that this word means "we" "us" and we can translate it as "me and all the rest (of the group)".

I'm afraid you're wrong. "-tachi" is a suffix to show that a noun (basically living creatures) is plural form. Let me show you some examples:

watashi/atashi: I/me
watashi-tachi/atashi-tachi: we/us
otoko: man
otoko-tachi: men
inu: dog
inu-tachi: dogs
Mary: Mary
Mary-tachi: Mary and the others

- wareware - I've read that this is a rarely used phrase

Not really. But it's a phrase used more among adults rather than children. If a little child says "wareware", the child is pretending to be some kind of a big shot.

if someone uses the phrase "wareware" when talking to a group of co-workers - does it mean that this person keeps his colleagues at a distance?

Not at all. It's just another way of saying "we/us". But you can say that it's not particularly a lady-like expression. It's uni-sex or mannish.

フン - do we classify this word as rough?

I'm sure you're looking at some kind of a writing, because people don't really say フン in that context. But, like you suggested, it means "hmph". And, well, could you openly show your irritation and not sound rough? I can't.

I hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tachi, wareware and fun 2024/5/8 18:34
Thank you very much!
I'm sure you're looking at some kind of a writing
It's true. This word appeared in the text and aroused my curiosity.
by Mist (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tachi, wareware and fun 2024/5/9 14:51
atashi is not used by adults. one of toddler words
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tachi, wareware and fun 2024/5/9 16:41
atashi is not used by adults. one of toddler words
As far as I know, "atashi" is mainly used by young girls (teens and 20-somethings). Women 30 + are unlikely to use this phrase.

Re: Tachi, wareware and fun 2024/5/9 19:10
I personally know no one who orally says "watashi" on a daily basis. I and every woman I usually meet always have used "atashi" (if not "atakushi") ever since I can remember. And I'm 62. In fact, I'm listening to adult women using "atashi" on podcast this very minute.

Here is an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhG1_EO4oKs

Btw, children today tend to use "uchi" or call refer to themselves by their names such as Hanako or Mary.

Re: Tachi, wareware and fun 2024/5/9 20:42
Uco, to tell you the truth, everything you say is new to me, as I get my knowledge of the language mainly from the Internet and textbooks. Until today I was convinced that "atashi" is used only by young girls, while adult women mainly use "watashi". However, as I mentioned, I have textbook/internet knowledge, so thank you for making me realize that in reality there are slightly different rules when it comes to using this type of sentence.

Re: Tachi, wareware and fun 2024/5/9 22:04
You should try watching non-fiction documentaries and talk show videos.

Re: Tachi, wareware and fun 2024/5/9 22:34
I think any girls in elementary school don't say themselves as "atashi" in front of teachers. probably, atashi, atai is local words in Tokyo area. there is a 漫画, あたしンち. Tokyo local story.

I think "uchi "( woman's word) is Osaka local word especially used by old women. there was a catchphrase of かしまし娘. うちら陽気なかしまし娘. but, not be used recently. ("uchi" is the word used in the age of かしまし娘.) I don't think it is common in Tokyo area historically.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread