community-forum community-penpal community-userReports destinations-admission destinations-beenThere-solid destinations-bookmark-solid destinations-city_outline destinations-city_solid destinations-closedDays destinations-date destinations-getThere destinations-hotels destinations-hoursFees destinations-itineraries-3 destinations-nearbySpots destinations-pin-simple-outline destinations-pin-simple destinations-sortBy-dots destinations-tours destinations-town interests-agriculture interests-amusementParks interests-beaches interests-castles interests-city_solid interests-contemporaryArt interests-events interests-festivals interests-flowers interests-foodDrink interests-gardens interests-hiking interests-historicSites interests-industry interests-koyo-single interests-koyo interests-mangaAnime interests-museums interests-nature interests-onsen interests-parks interests-pottery interests-sakura-single interests-sakura interests-scenicRides interests-shopping interests-shrines interests-skiing interests-snow interests-sumo interests-temples interests-traditionalArts interests-traditionalTheater interests-viewpoints interests-volcanoes interests-wildlife interests-winterIlluminations news-section planning-tickets-2 planning-transportation-access planning-transportation-bicycle planning-transportation-boat planning-transportation-bus planning-transportation-car planning-transportation-plane planning-transportation-shinkansen planning-transportation-tickets planning-transportation-train planning-transportation-walk shapes-chevron-down shapes-circle shapes-star social-fb social-gplus social-instagram social-twitter social-youtube ui-alert-construction ui-alert-warning ui-calendar ui-confirmed-outline ui-confirmed-solid ui-date ui-globe ui-lightbulb ui-no_entry ui-ok ui-pencil ui-reverse ui-search ui-time ui-video-play ui-x user-avatar

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 33
1 2

110 V voltage in Japan 2005/10/24 21:20
Because of electricity voltage difference between Japan and Europe, I assume that my hair dryer will have lower speed when used in Japan.
I wonder if the ryokan or hotel usually provide hair dryer too?
I presume I will have the same problem charging my mobile phone? It will take longer time, isn't it?
Thank you
by Simonetta  

... 2005/10/25 09:03
Japan has a voltage of 100V.

Good hotels and ryokan provide hair dryers to their guests.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2005/10/25 09:22
I just also wanted to add, that your mobile phone might not work in Japan at all (totally different cellphone networks), check with your service provider.
by hn rate this post as useful

never 2005/10/25 09:40
You should NEVER plug equipment designed for 220-240V into 100V power outlets in Japan.
In the case of a battery charger it just won't work at all, and in fact you could damage it.

Check plug packs for phones, laptops, etc. These often operate at multi voltages from 100-240V.

Your mobile/cell phone will not work in Japan.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Careful of voltages... 2005/10/25 09:59
As other posters have mentioned, do not plug 200-240V equipment into a 100V outlet.

For your cell phone though, it depends on what network you are using in Europe. If you are on Vodafone 3G and/or are able to roam on a Vodafone 3G network then you should be able to roam on Vodafone Japan's network too. I would check carefully what charges this will involve though -- it is likely to be VERY expensive.
by In trouble rate this post as useful

100V voltage 2005/10/25 15:33
Thank you everybody for precious reccomandations
by Simonetta rate this post as useful

What about 110 V? 2005/10/26 08:23
My laptop that I plan to bring along is 110V, standard in North America. From my understanding, it will only operate at a slower speed. Is that correct?
by Trangy rate this post as useful

... 2005/10/26 09:29
All decent laptops come with an adaptor nowadays, which enables them to be used for voltages ranging from 100 to 240. Check yours to be sure.
by Uji rate this post as useful

slower? 2005/10/26 09:34
Trangy: "My laptop that I plan to bring along is 110V, standard in North America. From my understanding, it will only operate at a slower speed. Is that correct?"

No that is NOT correct.
The laptop supply is a switchmode power supply, and it will work OK from 100V in Japan because the voltage is within about 10-15%.

This will not affect the speed the processor will at.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Er... 2006/9/11 10:34
Ok so none of my electronics say the usual 100-240.. it says's 110-240 will i be ok in Japan? I've got an Ipod, laptop, digital camera and an external hard drive..

Many Thanks
by Ali rate this post as useful

. 2006/9/11 10:39
Your digital camera, ipod etc should be fine. I don't know about the external hard drive, but laptop should work fine. You might find recharing to take just a little longer.
by .. rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2006/9/11 10:41
Actually. lol i just rechecked the hard drive and it does actually say 100-240 sooo that's been taken care of. Thanks for your help. :)
by Ali rate this post as useful

Moving from US to Tokyo 2007/9/11 05:29
I understand that the voltage in Tokyo is 100V. I am wondering if I can use any of my electrical goods that I have in the US (all in 110V) in Japan. I have an aero bed (using 110V power supply) which I would like to bring over. Will it work with a converter?
by Lorraine rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/11 07:36
It should work fine without a converter.
by John rate this post as useful

Moving from US to Tokyo 2007/9/14 05:06
Thanks, John! So no converter will be needed for my aero bed? With the 100V, the pump will still ebaleto inflat the bed?
by Lorraine rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/14 05:22
I don't see why not.
by John rate this post as useful

Converter or Charger 2007/9/19 16:21
As i m from Singapore, the voltage here is different from Japan, i have a hp and camera charger, so do i need a converter or just a adaptor will do.
by Mabel rate this post as useful

Check again... 2007/11/19 12:52
"I understand that the voltage in Tokyo is 100V. I am wondering if I can use any of my electrical goods that I have in the US (all in 110V) in Japan. "

You might want to be more cautious about that. Tokyo's voltage is at 100 BUT their frequency works at 50 Hz). US freqency operates at 60 Hz. If the internal wiring insulation of your electrical device is cheap or old than there could be problems. Eastern Japan, operates at 50Hz while western Japan (Nagoya and onward to the southwest) operate at 60hz. The wiring in your device WILL run hotter because the amperage will go up as a result from running a 60hz device plugged into a 50hz power source. If it is hot enough and the wiring insulation is bad enough than there could be a fire.
by Gene rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/19 13:21
However, the majority of devices people want to travel with will be fine (laptops, camera battery charges, etc.) as long as they have a universal transformer (the big black brick on the power cord) or are listed to work between 100-220v. The aerobed motor should be fine, it might run a little hot.

Typically the things people have the most trouble with are things like hair dryers and curling irons since they are dependent on the voltage to operate correctly.

BTW, Mabel, what is an HP? The computer manufacturer?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Japanese Toilet Seats in America 2008/1/10 02:23
The toilet seat is 100v and the hertz is 50-60 because it's from Kyushu (so the hertz shouldn't be a problem). Bassically the toilet seat warms water (to spray), warms the toilet seat, sprays water, and has a dryer. So will a 100v toilet seat work in 110v America. Thank you!
by Nixters rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 33
1 2

reply to this thread