Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Exploring Aokigahara Forest? 2006/2/1 08:47
I was wondering if anyone has been to the Aokigahara Forest? I have been reading some things about it, and it seems like a pretty strange and creepy place. If anyone has traveled to or know someone who has been there please respond with what the forest is like or is all the myth and mystery with it just something to scare people.
Syrus
by Syrus  

Forest 2006/2/2 00:17
It is a fact that many people who wish to commit suicide are drawn to this forest. But to characterize the forest only by this fact is to say that the Golden Gate Bridge is notable mostly for people jumping off, or the Caribbean and Atlantic off Florida are famous primarily for airplanes that disappeared 60 years ago in the "Bermuda Triangle" (and I know there are other places that are similarly stigmatized in other parts of the world).
by watagei rate this post as useful

Aokigahara Forest 2006/2/7 20:30
Is this near Tokyo? My brother and I are going to Tokyo in March.
by John Rogers rate this post as useful

here is some info 2006/2/8 07:27
I am not sure the exact distance but here is where it is located-KOFU, Yamanashi Prefecture.
by Syrus rate this post as useful

aokigahara 2006/2/8 09:01

Thanks 2006/2/8 09:31
Thanks for the map of the area in which it is located. Hopefully someone will be able to find it from that.

Big nature but don't explore 2006/2/8 09:50
Aokigahara is a vast forest near Mt. Fuji which is said to be greatly contributing to Japan's natural environment.

A natura-freak (J) friend of mine asked authorities for details so that he could explore the forest. Authorities begged him not to go, since once a you get into the depth, you're likely to get lost, and it will be close to impossible for anyone to search you. Especially considering that whoever is going to do the search will have to use a lot of taxes...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Sounds kind of creepy 2006/2/8 10:46
I would have to say that it would take alot of courage to go into the forest, even with a group of friends. I have read in Wikipedia that the stuff with compasses messing up due to volcanic related things is false. But, I have also read on numerous sites that it does mess up GPS and compass. Other than the fact that it is a death forest, why is it so eerie to people? Come on if you get lost you'll most likely eventually make your way out somewhere.

GPS 2006/2/11 08:30
Nothing that is ON the earth should mess up GPS, which depends on satellites far above the earth. If GPS works in Tokyo, it should work in Aokigahara.

Probably Right 2006/2/11 14:51
Your have a point with the GPS not working. What I have read varies from source to source. But there was a page on the forest in Japanese (from what I can remember) that showed pictures of a GPS, so it could have possibly been saying that it does or doesn't mess up.

Aokigahara Forest myths 2006/2/11 15:06
The often-repeated story about magnetic compasses not working in the forest was featured as an urban myth on the Trivia no Izumi recently. Stories about GPS devices also being affected are presumably an extension of this myth.
The fact does remain that the place is a very dense forest in which it is very easy to get disoriented and lost.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

GPS 2006/2/12 09:23
Hi everyone. So if my brother and I go to Aokigahara Forest next month I guess we should take GPS right? Do I have to buy GPS in Japan or can I buy it here in the US? I cannot read Japanese so will it be difficult to use GPS?
by John Rogers rate this post as useful

"Exploring" 2006/2/14 04:10
Let me quote a paragraph from the page I referenced above:

'A network of pleasant hiking trails covers the mountains and hills surrounding the lake, as well as the Aokigahara Jukai, lit. "Aokigahara tree ocean", an expansive forest south of the lake, famous for people getting lost.'

This would indicate that if you stay on the "pleasant hiking trails" you would stand a better chance of not getting lost. I suspect some of the people who 'get lost' there really want to 'get lost', because their intention is to end their lives. If that is not your intention (and I hope it is not), then go. It never hurts to take a gps device with you anywhere, so that you have an exact read on where you started in case there is any confusion about getting back to that place. But if you exercise some caution and follow the rules (and the paths), and don't succumb to doing any "exploring" and be sure to finish your hike well before dark, you have maximized your chances of not making trouble for the local search and rescue outfit (which I understand is tired of needing to find people who want an "adventure.")

Compasses should be okay too if you know how to utilize them and if they are calibrated for the region where you are (which is different in different areas around the world because of the magnetic poles not matching the geographic poles). As said in this thread several times, there isn't anything in the mountain/forest/lake area that should affect a compass, but legends like this sometimes have a kernel of truth--in this case, perhaps even people who had compasses didn't know everything they need to know to make the best use of them.

Personally, I would find looking at the Tree Field Ocean from several possible viewpoints outside it to be at least as impressive, maybe more, than getting inside it and seeing just the "trees" and not the "forest".

Probably most countries on earth offer locations where you can get disoriented and lost. I think if I just HAD to get disoriented, I'd rather do so somewhere where I would be sure I could read the maps and signs and speak with people I would be likely to run into.

Enjoy yourself but be careful.

The woods are lovely dark and deep 2006/12/8 00:23
Only thing you really need is a fix on a GPS satellite ,the recievers should be able to locate a signal from any location on earth ,a GPS receiver bought in america will work anywhere ,as long as it can find a GPS satellite
by GPS work even in Timbutu rate this post as useful

aokigahara forst 2007/5/25 11:19
I worked in Aokigahara forest for a while, and the company i work for has some establishments around there. its a famous suicide spot in japan. people say 'ghosts' make your compass go crazy when its actually the magnetic effects of the volcanic rock. it is easy to lost and dangerous. the local goverment office is also try to protect alot of the delicate plantlife that gets walked all over by people who dont stick to the paths so stay with proper nature guides. they are not expensive and can be found at a place called ''koumori-ana'' or ''the bat cave'' (cheezy english name). the 'retro bus' can take you there from kawaguchiko station.
by Gennoveus rate this post as useful

Gennoveus 2007/8/16 23:24
Hi Gennoveus

What sort of work did you do in the forest?

I'm doing some research on it for an essay and want to sort out the fact from the myth.

I visited last weekend with some photographers who've been there dozens of times. Amazing place.
by J rate this post as useful

aokigahara 2007/9/29 15:11
I just foundout about the forest earlier and its realy interesting to read about things that hapened.I still can't figure out what drives people to end their lives, what could be so horrible to make you not want to live?
And if it's so horrible, why do it there?
by Ryan rate this post as useful

Aokigahara 2007/9/29 16:02
Financial problems, terminal illness, intolerable bullying, clinical depression among many other factors.

People commit suicide there because other people have done it there.
by Sira rate this post as useful

interesting 2008/6/9 22:57
Not too bad of a trip. Stoped off with two friends and explored for three hours. Didnt see any "bodies" nor was I looking for them. Had trouble with my GPS, couldnt get a signal. Not saying all GPS dont work, mine was older and not top of the line. I would highly not recommend going at night. Very rough area to walk on and we did start to back track. Did hear some interesting "unknown" noise and have some interesting "unexplainable "pictures. All in all summary. Dont go at night unless you are experianced, bring GPS and reach a clearing to link a satellite, calibrate your compass, dont go alone, leave markers but dont destroy the forest, american GPS does work and have fun.
by corey rate this post as useful

Forrest. 2008/6/12 18:39
I'm headed out to the forrest to get lost tomorrow, and plan on camping the night ;)

I'll post again after my weekend is up to let you in on the facts.

Tomorrow is Friday 13th too :)
by Jim6 rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread