Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

kanji symbol for inner peace? 2006/2/11 11:49
i have always wanted a tattoo for inner peace. but more recently i'm at the point in my life where i am finding inner peace and thought that the kanji symbol would be appropriate to mark such a time in my life.
by inner peace  

. 2006/2/14 00:08
I have this on my shoulder -

ƒJ
S

which is 'Inner Strength'...
by Sutefu rate this post as useful

??? 2006/2/14 13:37
I'm new at this, so can someone explain how that says "Inner Strength" Doesn't it say "Kahu"?
As far as I know that doesn't mean anything...
by TheRage800 rate this post as useful

meaning 2006/2/14 14:31
ƒJ means power/strong/train

S means mind/spirit/heart

Just asked some Japanese people in my office.
Those kanji are great and have a nice meaning.
But its not a word in Japanese if you put them together.

Its like having a tatoo that says:
I have an awesome heart

Nice characters..ive seen much funnier kanji tatoos in Japan though.
My friend has one on his bum that says Azi (taste)!

by matt rate this post as useful

tattoo 2006/2/14 15:51
why get a tattoo in a language you dont speak or understand? I could give you a kanji, tell you its inner peace, and you would believe it even though it could be completely different. I suggest you take a look around this website before you end up permanently inked with some foolish gibberish. Oh and kanji are not symbols. They are characters and there is a difference.
http://www.hanzismatter.com/

by d rate this post as useful

sutefu's tattoo 2006/2/15 20:38
Sutefu, are you sure you don't have the character ”E@pronounced "nin", which is the first character of ninja, and has various meanings including "endurance" and similar ideas to "inner strength"?

I must admit I also find it strange that people get themselves tattoed in languages they (and often the tattoo artists, from what I've heard) don't read or understand. At least if it's a silly slogan on a t-shirt you can take it off at the end of the day...
by tokyoite rate this post as useful

. 2006/2/16 15:52
No, it isn't 'nin' - it is quite large and clear. I have always been aware it isn't a 'proper' word or anything, as I ran it past my Japanese boyfriend before I had it done, but I liked it and it isn't *totally* meaningless, at any rate!

As to why I had it done, well like the OP I had come through a difficult stage in my life and wanted to mark a 'new' phase of my life in some way. I don't often bare my shoulders so it was more of a statement to myself than a showoff thing - and it is meaningful to me, so to be honest I don't care what it means to the rest of the world! I don't see a problem as long as you have the foresight to make sure it doesn't say something stupid or offensive.
FWIW, I have had it complimented by a few of my Japanese friends who have seen it.
by Sutefu rate this post as useful

Tattoo Information 2007/10/25 23:57
Please do your research before you get a tattoo as it will be with you for life, My advice would be get a professional translation for whatever stlye or symbol you want. You could go to a Tattoo parlour and they could tattoo you with a symbol and you would not have a clue if it was correct. Read the information on this tattoo website http://www.tattoo-me.info/Kanji_tattoos.html then make your choice.hope this help you.
by Gaz rate this post as useful

reply to this thread