Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I make tempura flour at home? 2006/3/14 20:15
Can I make tempura flour at home?
by Frank  

Yes 2006/3/15 01:05
Basically, it's just ordinary wheat flour blended with some katakuriko which is an equavalent to corn starch. The percentage might depend on what you're frying and how you want it to turn out, but the following recipe is the basic breading I use for my tempura.

Blend 1 whole egg and add cold water to make it 1/2 Cup.

Add 1/2 Cup wheat flour and 1 Tablespoon katakuriko.

Dip your favorites and fry them.

Bon appetite!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Composition Tempura Flour 2007/6/19 21:29
It is actually more a reaction than an answer. I often see on packages of Tempura flour you can buy it is either a mix of Corn Starch and Rice Flour or Corn starch, rice flour and fine wheat flour? In what percentages I do not know, but I have bought packages in different Asian countries (except for Japan) and all of them contained rice flour.
by Ingrid van Veen rate this post as useful

Just try rice flour alone 2007/9/17 08:05
Just try rice flour alone and using club soda as the liquid. Dust your vegetables in rice flour, you can add a pinch of salt to this if you like, shake off, dip in batter (make in small batches and just make more as needed) and fry in 375 degree oil. Fry only a few pieces at a time as to not cool off the oil too much. Also monitor heat so it doesn't get too hot and smoke or flash.
by Bett rate this post as useful

No... 2007/9/17 22:49
Neither rice flour nor club soda is used for tempura.
Maybe Bett has confused some other deep-fried food
with tempura.
by momo rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/17 23:20
Actually, rice flour and club soda can be used for tempura. Both can make tempura more crispy and light then using wheat flour & water. My mother-in-law uses wheat flour and beer and this mixture always works very well. I think bubble in beer/club soda can make tempura more crispy. And you cannot taste beer after deep-frying.
by JLady rate this post as useful

I'm no expert, but... 2007/10/12 03:35
...when I make tempura I use VERY cold water (sparkling water if I've got it to hand), flour with a bit of cornflour added, and only give it a very brief mix. It will NOT have a smooth texture. There will be lumps in it, but it turns out just fine.

I think it's easier to make bad tempura by not paying attention to getting the oil hot enough, than it is by not paying attention to mixing the batter or to the batter ingredients.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread