Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mizuho bank Master card in Europe? 2006/4/2 13:54
Did anybody use Mizuho Master card to take cash in Europe? I ask this because I know there are not same card systems.

And is it possible to withdraw yens in Europe from ordinal Mizuho account? I didn't hear for Mizuho offices overseas.

Finaly, if I have a lot of yens on account and need Euros, what is the best choice? To take cash and change cash or to make account exchange transfer? Mizuho staff couldn't explain me how can I take those Euros if I do account transfer.

Thank you for any advice.
by Vladimir  

. 2006/4/3 03:01
Mizuho Master Card is a credit card issued by Mizuho bank.
You can get cash from ATM which accepts Master Card, even it was issued by Mizuho bank.

But it is a credit card, so it is different from withdrawing the cash from your bank account.

If you get cash from ATM with your card abroad, you can only get it in local currency.
If you need cash in Yen in Europe, first you get Euro, and then you have to exchange it to Yen.

Likewise if you withdraw the money from your bank account in Japan, you can get only Yen. If you need Euro, you have to ask the bank to exchange it into Euro.

Mizuho staff couldn't explain me how can I take those Euros if I do account transfer.
Sorry I did not get this part - do you mean you'd like to transfer Euro from your bank account (in Yen) to an account in Europe?
If so, you can apply for money transfer (T/T Remittance) in Euro at the bank, then the bank will charge you the amount converted to Yen plus remittance charges.

I hope this answers your question...
by usako rate this post as useful

Mizuho bank Master card in Europe 2006/4/3 08:32
Thank you very much Usako!

Actualy, I get salary in yens but I need euros when return home so I am looking the best way how to change (if you change a lot of money then every small difference in rate is big on whole amount). Mizuho card is double - both cash and credit on the same card, so I usualy go to ATM and use it like cash card, but I suppose I can somehow withdraw all money from Europe, too. Therefore I opened euro account in Mizuho and asked to transfer money in euros (with bank's interest) and then just to take euro cash, but staff said I can't do it. I would prefer to finish all transfers in one bank from account because then is less wasting of money than if I change cash (better exchange rate). I asked question if anybody has experience what is the best.

Anyway, thanks a lot!
by Vladimir rate this post as useful

. 2006/4/4 05:30
Mizuho international cash card service offers either of the two international ATM networks, Cirrus and Plus. Which dou you have?

I bet you have Cirrus because Cirrus is operated by MasterCard.
If you have Cirrus, you can withdraw local currency in most cities in the world from your SAVING account (貯蓄預金, not ordinary account) at Mizuho.
http://www.mizuhobank.co.jp/start/international/index.html
So you have to open your saving account and transfer some money there in advance.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Mizuho 2006/4/5 13:03
Thanx a lot! Yes, my is Cirrus, and now I went on site but it is just in Japanese. Anyway, it seems I must search for English speaking staff...
by Vladimir rate this post as useful

cashless option 2008/11/14 14:24
I'm coming to this thread a little late, but if anyone's reading with a similar problem, one option is to send yen from Japan Post directly to accounts all over the world. Japan Post account optional.

Ask for a kokusai soukin (国際送金--i.e. international remittance) form, and they'll ask you if you want money orders (which are similar to official checks in that they're actual physical, paper monetary instruments) or if you want to do a wire transfer.

The wire transfer option is nice because you don't have to have a friend receive the money, and you don't have to make out multiple money orders (the U.S. has a $700 limit per check)--with the wire, the money goes right to the appropriate account.

There are flat fees involved (2,500 to Japan Post, $12 to an intermediary bank when sending to the U.S. for example, plus a possible fee on the far end for the incoming wire), but the exchange rate itself is quite close to published rates for the day in question.
by Scott Kern rate this post as useful

reply to this thread