Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gomoku-do store in Kyoto 2006/4/28 08:36
I read in an Architectural Digest magazine in the United States about this high end antiques store in Kyoto that has a large collection. I wanted to go buying at this store, but I don't know how to get there.

The address is:
Gomoku-Do, Nakano-cho 236, Shinmonzen-dori, Hanami-koji Nishi, Higashiyama-ku; 81-75-541-7025

Can someone tell me how to get to this place? Or if possible, could someone write this in Japanese so I can give it to a taxi driver so that he can take me there?

I sent an email to this place a while ago (ken@gomoku-do.com), and I used a computer translation to ask him this:

I am an Antique dealer living in the United States. I have a large Asian antiques business and would like to visit your store. I saw your business in a magazine and am interested in your product. Do you sell wholesale to other countries? Also, how can I get to your store? I will be in Kyoto for 6 days at the Granvia Hotel Kyoto at Kyoto Station. I am interested in bringing your products to the United States. Thank you very much.

Then I translated it to Japanese using an online translator to this:

これは機械翻訳である。私は米国に住んでいる骨董屋である。私は大きいアジア骨董品ビジネスを有し、あなたの店を訪問することを望む。私はあなたのプロダクトに興味を起こさせられた雑誌およびAM のあなたのビジネスを見た。他の国に卸しで販売するか。また、私はいかにあなたの店に着いてもいいか。私は京都の場所にGranvia のホテル京都に6 日間京都にいる。私は米国にあなたのプロダクトを持って来ることに興味がある。本当にありがとう。英語を話さなかったら、日本語で答えれば私は誰かにそれを翻訳してもらう。

He replied saying this:

メール有難うございます。
京都のお店のほかに大津に倉庫があります。
倉庫は京都駅から電車で10分、2駅のところにあります。
この倉庫にも沢山商品があり、ディーラーが買いに来たりしています。
お休みの日などあり、ご希望の日にちにそえないかもしれませんので、詳しい日程など教えていただけますか?
折り返し連絡します。

宜しくお願いします。

夢工房

Can someone please help translate his response for me?

Thank you anyone who can help me!
by Bob Harris  

Where to find the Gomoku-do Antique Shop 2007/10/23 05:16
You'll find the map (in Japanese) of Gomoku-do.

http://www.gomoku-do.com/tenpo/index.htm

The bottom horizontal street is Shijo. The very top horizontal street is Sanjo. The shop is on the est side of the river (at left on the map). It's easiest to start from the corner of Shijo, follow the street along the river until you see a small canal flowing from the right. There is a small/tiny park on the right of the street and you must turn there. Gomoku-do is just on the Est side of the canal in Shinmozen Street (Doro). There is a small sign in front and an outside alleyway to get to the door. The owner is the sister of the Grand Antique Market Organizer (Ken). She is very elegant, kind and always stocks the shop with the very best top-of-the-line antiques. It's like walking into a Museum. The shop is but a small sample of what they have or have access to. Enjoy.

by Martin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread