Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shopping and sites in Okayama 2006/6/10 08:12
I'm spending four weeks this summer on a homestay trip in Okayama city, and I haven't been able to find much information on the place. The Korakuen Garden looks nice, as does the Okayama castle, but I was wondering if there are any other sites worth seeing.

I'm also interested in the shopping oportunities while I'm there, I'll be taking a day trip to Tokyo, but I'd like to know about shopping in Okayama. Geeky as it may sound, are there any good electronic and games stores in the city? I'm especialy interested in retro game stores if there are any.

Also, there seems to be a Sega Joyopolis in the city, what exactly is it?

Thanks for your help.
by DominicLM  

Re:Retro game stores in Okayama 2006/6/21 11:36
Hi, I recommend a video game shop named "MEDIO" and "Hard Off" to get second hand games. If you could not find there I will let you know how to go. ttp://medio.bz/shop/

Sega Joypolis is a coin-operated game machines amusement arcade. You can enjoy the newest arcade games at there.
by Kaz from yuhokan.net rate this post as useful

okayama 2006/6/21 15:13
There's an animate in a arcade off the main st (momotaro dori) towards the castle.
by Philip rate this post as useful

I love Okayama 2006/6/21 23:47
Korakuen garden is way beyond "nice"! I have been looking at Japanese gardens for over 20 years and only made ot there this month. I think it is one of the most beautiful and fascinating that I have ever seen.

I was also very impressed with the castle museum, and found that Okayama has other cultural sites of very high value. Also, it is a nice town for wandering in.

And tht's just the city. In every direction there is something interesting or beautiful: Bizen, Kurashiki, Naoshima and other islands (eg Hinase), Kibi, all of the International Villas. Hiroshima is not far in one direction; Himeji in the other.

In all, I think the area is one of the great overlooked zones of Asia.
But as for "day trip to Tokyo", that is a very optimistic notion, unless you have a specific meeting there or something.
by The Pearl rate this post as useful

Korakuen vs. Kenrokuen 2007/8/23 05:20
Dear The Pearl,
I love gardens too. I have been the gardens in Kyoto. I am going to Kanazawa's Kenrokuen. How does Okayama's Korakuen compare?
Plese advise. I am in the midst of planning my trip/hotels. Anyone know?
by Jimmy Pattison rate this post as useful

reply to this thread