Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2nd hand japanese bookstores in Tokyo 2006/6/28 05:25
Hi, as I will be going to Tokyo end of July I'm want to buy Japanese versions of English book and Japanese books. To save a little money I'm willing to buy them second hand. Does anybody know a good 2nd hand bookstore in Tokyo?

Thanks for helping me out.
grtz
by Dieter  

Hi 2006/6/29 17:11
Your best bet would be to find a store called "Book off". There are "hard off" stores in Shinjuku so im sure there should be "book off" stores too.
by Azumi rate this post as useful

Jimbocho 2006/6/29 18:39
Just have a wander around the area near Jimbocho subway station. There are dozens of secondhand book shops, mostly Japanese but also some with foreign books. Google Jimbocho and books, and you should find plenty of info on the area.

The Book Off chain is good, but doesn't usually do any English books at all, and its main business is used Japanese novels/manga/business books.
by tokoite rate this post as useful

Thx 2006/6/29 19:54
Thanks a lot for you're reply's. I will certainly check them out.
If anybody else knows any good shop please let me know.

grtz
by Dieter rate this post as useful

2nd hand dbooks 2006/8/8 01:32
I remember having read in JIN that at "Kanda" in Tokyo 2nd hand books are sold in plenty and very cheap. You may even get rare books. I hope I am right If I am wrong please correct me.Thanks
mssvasan
by mssvasan rate this post as useful

Jimbocho is a part of Kanda 2006/8/8 11:00
The official name for Jimbocho is Kanda-Jimbocho.
And the nearest JR station to there is Ochanomizu not Kanda.
Too complecated?!
by mikan rate this post as useful

Englsih books too 2006/8/8 14:07
My local Book-Off has loads of English books, many for only 250 or 300 yen. The bigger the store the more likely they are to have English books- the one I go to is pretty big.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Book Off 2006/9/13 18:42
I found out that book off doesn't sell foreign books, and doesn't take any foreign books either.
by Raho rate this post as useful

Any mags? 2007/5/24 17:40
Do these 2nd hand shops usually sell mooks? I'm looking for quite a few recent ones, released in 2005. Kinokuniya only stocks new items, right?
by Saus rate this post as useful

Secondhand bookstores 2007/5/24 17:49
Saus,

Do these 2nd hand shops usually sell mooks?

Yes, and regular magazines.

Kinokuniya only stocks new items, right?

That's right.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

You heard right mssvasan 2007/5/25 07:29
"I remember having read in JIN that at "Kanda" in Tokyo 2nd hand books are sold in plenty and very cheap. You may even get rare books. I hope I am right If I am wrong please correct me.Thanks
mssvasan "

Yeah, I spent a whole day just walking about Kanda. It has loads of 2nd hand bookstores, some inside others with just boxes sitting by the pavement. Pretty cheap too but I think you'll have to know a bit of Japanese if your looking for a specific title.
by Adam rate this post as useful

kanda 2007/10/18 22:50
Where is Kanda book town? I came out of Ochanomizu station and couldn't find it. Is it some distance away from the station?

Book Off does sell foreign books... 2007/10/19 08:37
Just noticed Raho's reply above re: book Off.

Well, I often buy English books from my local Book Off and I have sold English books and videos to them too. I am not making this up.

It may well depend on the branch- smaller ones might not bother with a foreign books section. The one near my place is pretty big.

At least one Book Off in Tokyo however absolutely, 100 % definitely, truly sells English books.
by Sira rate this post as useful

access to kanda 2007/10/23 02:22
While it'll take you some 10 minute's walk from JR Ochanomizu station to the second-hand book mall, it's only one minute from Jimboucho station on either Hanzomon or Toei Mita/Shinjuku subway line.
Or 5 minutes from Takebashi station on Tozai subway line.

For your info, an annual big bargain fair will be held between Oct. 26th - Nov. 1st at the mall, so the streets will be very crowded during this term, especially on weekends.
by mica rate this post as useful

map 2007/11/6 06:57
I found book off harajuku today, but it seems to have closed down. I couldn:t read the notice on the door. Is it really gone?

Escaflowne Art Book Questioni? 2008/7/4 12:44
Hello,

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction in obtaining a certain Escaflowne item. Do you know where I could find an authentic and official "Escaflowne Roman Album" art book in mint/excellent condition with its golden-broze obi (and inside coupon ticket) still intact? I am a collector and very interested. The ISBN is: 4-19-720009-9. Would you happen to know someone or someplace where I can get this art book? I am well-aware that this art book is out-of-print and the difficulty in obtaining such a rare book. Also, would I be able to see pictures of the actual book?

P.S. - Do you know of other places besides eBay that may have this artbook?

Thank you for your time and patience! It is greatly appreciated
by H. rate this post as useful

reply to this thread