Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Iwakuni-shi perception of Americans 2006/6/30 23:22
Hi. Starting in August, I will be working in Iwakuni city, and from what I can tell...they have a pretty poor perception of Americans, due to the military base there? Anyone have any input of how accurate my information is?
by giddy_gaijin  

Friendly Iwakuni 2006/7/1 12:25
Not it all like Okinawa I've been hearing about.
We've been to Iwakuni for sight seeing once and for what we gathered our tour guide (from Iwakuni)was very friendly and was used to being around foreigners, he even spoke some English. He explained that there are American bases there and that when city hosts some of Gaijin san to join in their parades they dress up the gaijins in Japanese customs to welcome the foreign presence.
Iwakuni is a smaller city compared to others, sort of like a country town in warmer climate compared to Tokyo, Osaka or Nagoya.
by cc rate this post as useful

// 2006/7/1 12:29
Possibly, but I would expect antipathy would be directed towards presence/behaviour of troops NOT Americans in general, and in any case they'd be way too polite to let you take flak for it...
by tico rate this post as useful

// 2006/7/1 12:35
You may indeed come across (possibly) drinking establishments who may be a bit wary of a gaijin who may be from the base - there are a few in hiroshima - but outside of that it won't be much worse than anywhere else in Japan (they're a cautious bunch no matter where!)
by tico rate this post as useful

lived in Iwakuni 2006/7/10 16:50
I was stationed at the Marine air base at Iwakuni for a year. The person who posted earlier is right in that the perception of Americans in Iwakuni is MUCH better than on Okinawa. The base is actually both a Marine base and a Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF) base. I never once had a negative experience when out on the town.

It's definitely a nice place to be stationed thats for sure. The bridge and surrounding area are GORGEUS and me and my friends went to Hiroshima and Miya-Jima all the time.
by John L rate this post as useful

Friendly iwakuni 2006/7/15 21:53
I lived in Iwakuni for 4 yrs before(MCAS) and am now back for at least another 3 yrs. My family & I love it here. The people are super friendly and I think genuinly sincere in their dealings with americans and foreigners in general. I think you will enjoy your time here in Iwakuni!!!

Ganbatte!!!
by michelle rate this post as useful

Iwakuni shi of Yesterday 2006/8/11 01:29
I was stationed at MAG 12/MABS 12, a long time ago and while i was there, was treated kindly, by the younger generation, but was maybe not as well repected by the elders! But, even they were few and far between. This was in 1958-59 though, so what has transpired since then, I cannot speak on! All I know is, when I left there, a piece of my heart remained! In closing let me say this:
Watashi wa Iwakuni shi/nihon jin daisuki desu!
Dan in SC
by Dansuki rate this post as useful

MCAS Iwakuni 71-72 Fantastic duty 2006/8/31 02:52
I was with MABS12 MAG12 Motor T and really enjoyed my tour in Iwakuni,,all the JNs were friendly to us in 71 and we spent a lot of time with some of the local families there,,never a problem,,really enjoyed Cherry Blossom festival at Kentai
by Nick in Ga. rate this post as useful

Love it Love it 2007/2/1 03:23
My family and I lived in Iwakuni for 4 years. I was staions there twice. The people were great. My sons played soccer, did boy scouts and many other things with the community. Great experience. We try to goback as often as we can.
by L Molitor rate this post as useful

Stationed in Iwakuni, Japan 2007/4/4 05:20
I was stationed in Iwakuni fromJanuary 1955 to june 1956 and also from Oct.1956 till Oct. 1958. I was with MWSG-17. iT WAS A VERY NICE place and I ENJOYED my tour very much. I also was married there and this year we will celebrate our 50th. wedding anniversary.The people there were exceptionally nice and I never had any negative situations
by Bob Clark rate this post as useful

Iwakuni for Americans?? Fabulous 2007/4/18 12:11
I was there with the USMC in 1963 1964. I fell in love with the people and the land. That year was a grand awakening to the gentle kindness of the Japanese people. I was always treated with respect and consideration in spite of my western ways. I long to return.
by Lyleroy0 rate this post as useful

Loved it 2007/12/8 05:29
I was stationed there 1956 left 1958. Was there for a weekend 1963. Returned after 47 years this past Summer 2007. Have NEVER had a bad exprince with the Japanese people. Found old friend whom I hadn't seen in 47 years this past summer. Already planning my return trip for summer 2008. Love the Country and the people.
by Wyman rate this post as useful

Deployed to Iwakuni with Navy squadron 2008/2/17 16:40
I was with VFA-132 from NAS Cecil Field, Florida. We deployed to MCAS Iwakuni in support of MAG-15. First Navy F/A-18 squadron to do so. Loved the time there. Benjo Bombers and don't forget the best BLT's in the world! (Really, Iwakuni has a restaurant that has been voted as having the best BLT's in the WORLD!) The Cherry Blossom Festival at the Kintai Bridge is not to be missed. The people are wonderful!
by Brian rate this post as useful

Deployment Date 2008/2/17 16:42
VFA-132 "Privateers" deployed to MCAS Iwakuni from Sept '87 to April '88.
by Brian rate this post as useful

Iwakuni thoughts & recomendation 2009/9/24 12:26
Iwakuni is a great place to both visit and to live. The Japanese people are generally very friendly and honest. The only heartache brought on by Americans, are when they get stupid drunk and cause problems. The food is great at Iwakuni and the surroundings quiet and suttle. I spent 8 years there and wanted to go back, but my situation would not allow it. I would recommend this place to anyone wanting to visit Japan.
by GyUSMC (guest) rate this post as useful

My Iwakuni experience 2010/4/9 06:24
I was stationed in Iwakuni from May of 1971 to May of 1972.

My experience was absolutely positive, never having any problems with the Japanese in the area.

The restaurant with the great BLTs was called Sakura Restaurant, if I remember correctly. Papa-san was a master of the BLT.

The only negative expereince I had during my year in Japan was with an oledr Japanese gentleman in Hiroshima who didn't like American servicemen talking to Japanese girls.

Wood
by wodrp rate this post as useful

reply to this thread