Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

fresh fruit in hokkaido? 2006/7/18 05:16
We will be leaving for a three week trip to hokkaido end of this week.

I remember from my last trip to japan in 1999 that my husband and I were craving for fresh fruit and vegetables. Are both now readily available, especially on the countryside in hokkaido?

I remember having paid a fortune for 2 wonderful peaches that tasted like pure cakeflour.......

thanks!

uta

by uta  

... 2006/7/18 15:49
In some areas of Hokkaido, you have fruit stands along the road where you can buy local melons and other fresh fruit directly from the farmers. You can always be unlucky and get bad ones, but in my experience these fruits are very good. I particularly remember the melons in Yubari.

Apart from that, you can find fresh fruit in supermarkets and fruit shops. Department stores and markets (Hakodate morning market, Sapporo's Nijo Market, etc.) in the larger cities.

On the countryside it can be difficult to find good fruit (and shops) apart from the above mentioned fruit stands.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2006/7/18 15:54
Note also that the above mentioned fruit stands are quite rare. You don't easily find them all across Hokkaido.
by Uji rate this post as useful

melons are in season 2007/7/27 02:27
I just return from Hokkaido 10days ago. Melons and peaches are easily found in almost every hotel's souvenir shop and rest place along the highway. They are many brands and grades of melons. According to the locals, famous ones are from Furano and Yubari, and they are graded into super best, best,good etc. Check the "T" stem of the melon, it should be fresh and stiff, and not wrinkle and dry. Is cheaper to buy in small town then city. They are so sweet, juicy and good smell. Peaches are also good. I specially like the corns, eat them raw, is so sweet and juicy.
by jessica rate this post as useful

Melon stands 2007/7/27 03:52
Yes, I too just came back from Hokkaido 2 weeks ago and if you visit Hakodate, Otaru, or Furano, they should have Melon stands on the street. When I was there they sell a slice for 100yen--best melon I've had as it melts in your mouth and it's so sweet :p
by BL rate this post as useful

reply to this thread