Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 4: Posts 1 - 20 of 63

1 2 3 4
next

sauce for rice...it is delicious! 2006/8/24 02:22
I am looking for the sauce that is used over rice. it is served at the Japanese Village Restaurant in Victoria, BC Canada
by Sherry Sam  

Sauce 2006/8/24 17:42
Sherry,

Rice is not traditionally served with sauce in Japanese cuisine, but can you describe the sauce you had? It is quite possibly something invented at that particular restaurant (like the mysterious "pink sauce" people frequently ask about here), so the best way to find out what it is would be to ask at the restaurant itself.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

already tried that 2006/8/24 23:32
.apparently the sauce is a closely guarded secret but it is soya sauce based for sure and maybe sesame oil or seeds too...not sure. Thank you for responding, Dave.
by Sherry rate this post as useful

Clues 2006/8/24 23:52
Could you give us some clues; what is the colour? is it a thick sauce? does it have crushed sesame seeds in it? How is it served? etc. Anything you can remember of the sauce will make it easier to identify.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Donburi soup 2006/8/25 00:35
What you are describing sounds like Tendon. It has Tempra on top of rice with soup over it.
by Ken rate this post as useful

not a soup 2006/8/25 05:40
It is a thin sauce. Before they ladle it over your rice, they stir it up...looks beigey in color. Some one gave me a recipe of 2/3 c veg oil, 1/3c toasted sesame seeds, 1/3c soya sauce(kikkoman)and 2 tsp dry mustard. This is very close to the flavor of this sauce but color and texture (.and most importantly) taste are not right.

. 2006/8/26 05:26
As Dave said, this doesn't sound like Japanese food at all. It is not a custom to put sauce on top of rice.

So unfortunately I don't think no one can give you the recipe on here!

Please ask the owner of that restaurant in the country that it is located :)
by rouge rate this post as useful

No idea but 2006/8/26 09:57
First of all, as mentioned, there are indeed Japanese dishes that require rice sauce like the "donburi". However, it is very unlikely that a sauce is stirred and poured at your table, so I assume this is a very original menu.

However, I can guess some ways to make your sauce taste more "oriental". For example, oil plays a huge role on taste. Why not try different types of oil like sesame oil (often used in Japan, Korea and China) or peanut oil (often used in Southeast Asia) for example.

Also, usually sauce around the world contains some kind of soup stock. In Japan the most common soup stock is made by throwing bonito flakes in boiling water, but chicken works too.

Another thing is that a lot of oriental food uses raw ginger to add taste. You can throw a tiny piece in as you make the sauce and it will taste different.

Sugar is often added to oriental cuisine too. Especially Americans tend to like sweeter sauce, so chefs in the U.S. would add more sugar than they would in Japan.

Enjoy your experiments!
by Uco rate this post as useful

.. 2006/8/26 10:25
There are many overseas "Japanese resturants" that are not really "Japanese" in food.

Sorta like Chinese food.
by .. rate this post as useful

I love that sauce 2006/8/31 16:13
I know the sauce you are talking about! I seriously crave this sauce all the time. Its sooo good. Its a thicker sauce.. beige/yellow in color.. kind of tastes like garlic with honey mustard.. I really want to find this recipe!
by Holly rate this post as useful

Thank you 2006/8/31 23:48
Hi Holly, Thank you for the confirmation that the sauce exists..lol.. was beginning to think i might have imagined it. You are right, it is addicting and i really want that recipe too so anyone out there that knows or maybe works for the Japanese Village Restaurant in Victoria BC please, please respond sil vous plait

rice recipe 2006/9/2 09:57
Hi, i think i found the recipe:
is there a way I can email it to you?
by Holly rate this post as useful

Post it in this forum 2006/9/2 16:13
Post it in this forum, I would say. I'm sure everybody is as curious as me to try it! :-)
by Kappa rate this post as useful

please post in forum 2006/9/8 01:45
thank you Holly. Will anxiously await the recipe if u truly have it but please post here for all to enjoy. Yum-yum

JV Steak Sauce Recipe 2006/9/9 11:57
I know exactly what you are talking about. The Teppanyaki developed for westerners. The JV has Sesame steak sauce (for beef), and Ginger sauce (for seafood and vegies). I had the Steak Sauce recipe from one of the cooks, but can't locate it at the moment. We are lucky in Calgary, as you can buy both sauces for $8 a 12 oz. a bottle at the fast food outlet called Banzai. (OK it's expensive, but authentic!) Here's the one from a web search:
¨ö c Sesame seeds; white
2 ts English mustard; powdered
¨ø c Soy sauce
¨ø c Vegetable oil
1 tb Garlic; freshly ground
¨ö c Onion; freshly ground

Bake the white sesame seeds until golden brown. To make the mustard, add water to it gradually until it reaches the consistency of very thick cream, stirring well and breaking up all lumps. This should stand 10 minutes to develop its full flavor. Mix the mustard with the soy sauce and the vegetable oil. Place in blender. Add garlic and onion. Blend until smooth and creamy.

I've made this, but you need to make sure the sesame seeds don't get burnt. I usually keep a close eye and warm/stir them in a bare pan over med/low heat until they 'just' start getting golden rather than bake them.Your then need to grind them (mortar and pestle - or use blender) and add them to the rest of the ingredients. I would go easy on the onion and garlic until you taste it. If you use too much O&G, because these are raw ingredients, the taste can be overpowering. I will try and perfect the sauce compared to the original. No ETA though.
by Shauneen rate this post as useful

Oops! 2006/9/9 12:06
Looks like I posted an image. Here's the ingredients again:

1/2 C Raw White Sesame Seeds
2 tsp English Mustard, powdered
2/3 C Soy Sauce
2/3 C Vegetable Oil
1 TBSP Garlic, freshly ground
1/2 C Onion, freshly ground
by Shauneen rate this post as useful

Japanese village sauce 2006/9/17 08:37
You have the right recipe but it is Vital to use low salt soys sauce - otherwise it will come out way too salty (and I like salt)
Yamasa less salt soya sauce is a good choice
by Allan rate this post as useful

sauces 2006/9/24 09:27
I found the ginger sauce a while back that thought the reader might enjoy it as well. As for the steak sauce recipe... thanx i have been trying for years to find it. I trieds it yhis evening. I would cut down on the amount of sesame seeds and add more oilalso i only used about a TBSP onion.
Ginger Sauce
just less than 1/4c fresh lime juice
2TBSP water
4tsp soy sauce
1garlic clove minced
3slices fresh ginger-about dime size
1tsp sugar
2TBSP oil
Add oil in a stream into blender.
by lori rate this post as useful

congrats 2006/9/24 12:00
Mixing English mustard (Coleman's brand) with soy sauce is a ''Chinese'' (Americanized) technique which is probably why no one on this forum could answer your question.

I'm glad you found the recipe--sounds tasty.
by nanshi rate this post as useful

My own version of that tasty sauce 2006/9/26 10:18
Hi all and Sherry ! I live in Saanichton, a few minutes from Victoria and LOVE that same sauce ! I heard it was called 'steak sauce'. It's beige in color, creamy consistency ( like thinned out mayonnaise ) and so darn good over warm rice. What I've concocted may not be the same, may not even have the same taste but we find it quite tasty. Buy some Japanese mayonnaise and mix with a little soy sauce. Not too much of each. We get our mayo either from Fujiya on Shelbourne or Thrifty Foods. Our soy sauce of choice is Kikkoman.It also is nice as a salad dressing but you don't want too much as I'm guessing the Japanese mayo is high in fat. I hope you like it even if it's not the same taste :-) Take care
by Tracy B. rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 4: Posts 1 - 20 of 63

1 2 3 4
next

reply to this thread