Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 33

1 2
next

Details of the Toyoko Inn 4&5 club? 2006/9/11 14:25
Hi,

I've read about this frequent stayer program, and was wondering how it works since the Toyoko Inn website which explains it is in Japanese (my Japanese is not so great yet). It appears that there are several tiers of membership.

Since I'm international, I"m probably only eligible for a few of them. My main question is how many nights do I need to stay to get one free?

Thanks
by segadcsonic  

one more thing 2006/9/11 15:03
One more thing, I've read that there are room discounts available. Is that true?
by segadcsonic rate this post as useful

. 2006/9/11 15:37
The international version, is 10 nights = 1 free stay.

I don't think there are any discounts that follow using the international version. I think the non international ones have a fee and or branded with a credit card for japanese residences.
by .. rate this post as useful

10 nights 2006/9/11 17:11
Yep, you sign up for it at the first check in. It costs 1000Y. They will give you a card to present each time you check in. You will need to fill in a slip each time. After 10 stays they will mail a free stay coupon to your home. So you cannot just roll up for a fourteen night stay in Japan and use it as it takes about a month to process.
Beware, if you are using double rooms and only one person signs up they only give you a free single room so you will have to pay the difference for a double if you want one.
It's a good deal if you are planning return trips to Japan but utterly useless for just a one off.
by Rod rate this post as useful

. 2006/9/11 17:15
How exactly do you sign up? Is there forms in English?
by john rate this post as useful

Application Form 2006/9/11 20:13
I got an application form once, but I never ended up handing it in, partly because you have to submit a passport style photo and I didn't want to take the time to get one. Also, as noted by Rod, you have to submit it in person (you can't mail it in). Then they mail the card to you, and it takes several weeks.

I'm afraid I can't remember if the form was in English or Japanese. It might have been bilingual. (They have a separate application for International 4 & 5 club.) If your Japanese is "not so great" you can likely figure it out (it's not nearly as difficult as the Web site explanation of the 4 & 5 club) but if that is a euphemism for "can't read Japanese at all" you will probably need a little help. It is not a complicated form, but the photo requirement is a pain. The photo has to meet their precise requirements.

I used to think I would start using Toyoko Inn a lot, but I was kind of turned off by the scandal involving handicapped facilities (not so much at their greed, as it is sadly par for the course, but at their CEO's attitude towards the situation). I have since found that there lots of good alternatives, especially if you can read a little Japanese. I use Rakuten Travel's Japanese portal a lot. (I use an address in Japan as a membership address, but I believe you can become a member with a foreign address; you just have to go through their Japanese portal.) There are other chains similar to Toyoko Inn (e.g., R&B, Route Inn, APA, to name just three) and they seem to be increasing the number of outlets. But they generally do not have English web sites, I'm afraid.

If you do join the 4&5 club, one nice perk is that you can check in an hour early (3 instead of 4). But they will still expect you to vacate the room between 10 and 3 every day of multiple-night stays.
by Pat rate this post as useful

Toyoko Inn Accomadation 2006/9/12 07:26
My wife and I will be going to Japan next week and will be staying at Toyoko Inn Sapporo -eki Kita-guch, Sendai Chou Iti-chome Iti-Ban. Kyoto Shijo-Karasuma and Shin -Osaka Chou-Guchi Honkan, a total of 18 nights. Can someone give me some feed back on these hotels.We have been to Japan before and understand the language and customs etc.

cheers
David
by David rate this post as useful

. 2006/9/12 07:42
Virtually all Toyoko-inns are similar, its standardized among the hotels. If you're used to Japanese business hotels, thats what they are, nothing special to comment about, rooms are clean, small (as usual for most business hotels), but functional.

I've stayed at the Kyoto Shijo-Karasuma, across the street from a subway exit, excellent location.
by rail rate this post as useful

All the same 2006/9/12 17:02
'Rail' summed it up pretty well. If you've been to one Toyoko you've seen it all. They do not vary although last year in Hakodate they did provide a free evening snack of curry and rice. Just remember that they want you out between 1000 and 1600 (1500 for card holders )and that phone will ring at 1001 if you aint gone.
by Rod rate this post as useful

.. 2006/9/12 18:34
members of the 4&5 club can also enjoy discounted room rates during sundays and national holiday. and becoming a member is very easy, just fill in the form and the people from the front desk will take a Polaroid picture of you!
by bau rate this post as useful

Application Process 2006/9/12 21:49
It sounds like they've changed so you don't have to provide your own picture, which is a real improvement. (They've also raised the fee; it used to be only 500 yen, but given the cost of passport photos, it evens out if they provide the picture for you.) Another perk of membership is you can book 3 months in advance instead of 2. Toyoko Inns in popular cities often fill up more than 2 months in advance, especially if you want a double or a twin.

I personally wouldn't want to spend as many as 18 nights at Toyoko Inns, especially for multiple-night stays. The daytime lockout policy would kill me sooner or later. Also, it's nice to take a break from cubicle-sized business hotel rooms at some point. When I am planning a trip to Japan, I always search for slightly more expensive rooms that are somewhat larger (they are frustratingly difficult to find, but even Toyoko Inn has "deluxe" rooms at a few of its branches), and I throw some of these into the mix just for relief, along with one or two nights in a moderate-price ryokan for my big treat.

But it's all relative. For some people, one night in a Toyoko Inn would constitute a major splurge over hostels and capsule hotels, whereas people who can afford to spend a lot more on hotels might consider Toyoko Inns to be the bottom of the barrel. (What? No concierge?)
by Pat rate this post as useful

multiple sign up needed? 2006/9/13 07:13
Thanks everyone for your responses. I have one last question: If I have 2 people travelling and staying in a twin, only 1 person has to sign up, correct?

You've been all very helpful. Thanks again for the quick responses.
by segadcsonic rate this post as useful

. 2006/9/13 08:04
Yes one person signs up and does registration, make sure you indicated 2 people will be staying in the room, there will be an option during the restration process to enter the other guests name.
by . rate this post as useful

. 2006/12/12 14:53
I'm interested in joinging the 4&5 club membership, they have an email address:

toyoko-inn.card@toyoko-inn.com

So I was thinking about emailing them, maybe they have a copy of the registration form I can print out, fill and turn in when I arrive at a hotel, you know to make things easier, since there might be a language problem in asking for the application form to begin with etc.

So can someone translate this for me and I'll send it in an email.

Yes I know their response maybe in Japanese, but if there's an attached form I guess my answers will be answered lol.

-------------
Translate:

Hello, I often stay at Toyoko-Inn hotels when I visit Japan, would it be possible for me to sign up for an 4&5Club "INTERNATIONAL MEMBER" card? How much does it cost? 1000 yen?

I know it is not possible to sign up over the internet, however, Is it possible to download an application form online/email so I can fill out and print to give to the hotel check-in person to make the application process easier and faster for everyone when checking into the hotel?

Thank you,
by .. rate this post as useful

Form 2006/12/12 19:35
No, I am pretty certain this would not be possible. The form is in the info-pack in every room and also available at reception. Even if you got it in advance you would still have to give it to the receptionist on arrival. If you have your photo ready you can complete the form after you check in. They will give you a temporary card that can be used to claim your free nights points at any other Toyoko Inn hotels used on that trip and you will also be credited for the first hotel where you register. Also note that you cannot use the temp card for early check-in for any hotels already prebooked, although you should get the Sunday/holiday discount (if that offer is still available during your stay).

You should also be aware that you will not get any coupons for free nights (1 for every 10 nights) until you return home. They will only be sent to your home address.

Rob
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

.. 2006/12/12 21:57
Even if you got it in advance you would still have to give it to the receptionist on arrival

Thats the whole point for me asking.

If I had the form and a photo (if needed) ready to go when I show up, I can probably avoid a lot of communication problems in asking for the form or how exactly to sign up.

I understand all the parts of not being able to get free certificates until later, and that I will be issued a temporary card, (i've read all the pros and cons), i'm just wondering If I can get the form in advanced. If someone can translate and I'll shoot out an email that would be great, i'll put the response here to help future searchers.
by . rate this post as useful

Translation 2006/12/12 22:24
You can send it in English. If it is the same person I dealt with a few years ago, she speaks/reads English. But to be honest, I had no problem with the form, I filled it in as soon as I checked in and gave it to reception on the first evening.

Rob
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

. 2006/12/13 03:07
Jeeze. Didn't know there is a 10am to 4pm lockout at Toyoko Inns.

To think I will be staying there soon... Where am I going to bring my girlfriend to if we need a break and do I have to carry my shopping bags around for the whole day?

I don't understand this policy at all. I've stayed in business hotels before and they had the same lock out, which is what prompted me to book this hotel instead. Looks like I'm on the wrong trail again but damn, too late to cancel the booking.. NOT HAPPY.
by ROUGE. rate this post as useful

. 2006/12/13 03:26
Its been discussed before, however you can always leave any extra baggage etc you have with the front desk and they will hold it for you until you return (I've done this many times).

The reason they do this is because between those times they clean all the rooms, the cleaning people are only there and no one is allowed up, to prevent theft from people walking from outside etc, sometimes if you forgot something they will let you, but most cases you can't occupy the area, the hallways are narrow, the open the doors and the cleaning crew is moving in and out of the areas.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2006/12/13 03:29
You can cancel Toyoko-Inn rooms up to 4pm (Japan time) the day you check-in.
by John rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 33

1 2
next

reply to this thread