Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shiretoko sightseeing boats 2006/9/17 13:04
Hi,
I have a few questions regarding sightseeing boats to view Shiretoko peninsula.
1)Has anyone taken the sightseeing boat by Gojiraiwa Kanko (1 hour route)and how was the experience?
2)Does this boat depart from the Utoro as per Shiretoko Kankosen? I got confused by the Gojiraiwa website when the map seem to state that they also depart from Rausu.
3) I plan to take the boat from either company on 29 Oct. Do boats still operate on 29 Oct?
4)I saw this promotion under the website where there will be 15% disc off the Gojiraiwa boat if I reserve the tickets simultaneously with a room reservation at a pension stated. Is this pension located at Rausu? There is a map attached to the website, but as I don't read Japanese, I can't locate the pension on this map itself.
http://gojiraiwa.com/rausukuru-p.htm
5) The portion of my itinerary looks like this:
27 Oct - Abashiri
28 Oct - drive to Shiretoko. explore the Five Lakes. Furepe Falls.Oshinkoshin Falls. Stay over at Utoro.
29 Oct - take sightseeing boat in the morning then continue to explore shiretoko area and travel through the rausu pass to Rausu to stay over.
30 Oct - drive from Rausu to Akan Lake.
Is it more time saving for me to stay over at Rausu or Utoro, in terms of travel time to Akan?
by Yunxi  

... 2006/9/17 15:47
1)Has anyone taken the sightseeing boat by Gojiraiwa Kanko (1 hour route)and how was the experience?

I took the big boat and saw how the smaller Gojiraiwa boats always entered the smaller bays, while we just sailed by. I imagined that the Gojiraiwa boat tour may be more exciting.

2)Does this boat depart from the Utoro as per Shiretoko Kankosen?

Yes, the cruises in summer depart from the same port as the big boats in Utoro. In winter, they have ryuhyo (floating ice) crusies from Rausu.

3) I plan to take the boat from either company on 29 Oct. Do boats still operate on 29 Oct?

The large boats operate until October 22. The Gojiraiwa boats until October 31.

I saw this promotion under the website where there will be 15% disc off the Gojiraiwa boat if I reserve the tickets simultaneously with a room reservation at a pension stated. Is this pension located at Rausu?

Yes, it is located in Rausu, on the opposite side of the peninsula from Utoro.

Is it more time saving for me to stay over at Rausu or Utoro, in terms of travel time to Akan?

It is actually closer from Utoro to Akan National Park. Lake Kussharo and Kawayu are about 100 kilometers from Utoro, while it is about 130 kilometers from Rausu. Lake Akan is about 150 kilometers from either Utoro or Rausu.
by Uji rate this post as useful

In regards to sightseeing boats in Uroto 2006/9/18 08:55
. . . when you go there you will see many smaller boats that offer sightseeing service. I chose to wait and take the standard large tour boat. I saw a lot of schoolkids on board toting packages of shrimp chips. Now I know why!

I have seen many skilled seagulls, but the ones at Uroto are par excellance. More than a few will pick tiny bits of food out of your thumb and forefinger with extraordinary accuracy. Some at Uroto are so skilled they will actually fly up with the boat in dock, or hover overhead and drop down.

I have been on many sightseeing boat rides around Japan, but these gulls are the most skilled I've seen! One gull took food from my fingers, hovered alongside, than swung back for another bite. Keep in mind if you take the smaller boats, they move too fast for the gulls.

by Clevor rate this post as useful

... 2006/9/18 09:15
when you go there you will see many smaller boats that offer sightseeing service.

These are the Kujiraiwa Sightseeing Boats! I don't think there is a third company, though.

Time to take the boat ride 2006/9/20 12:11
Hi...I will go for Gojiraiwa since it seems more interesting and I don't ve a choice due to the operating dates. I am wondering which time will be higher chances of viewing animals on the coast(bears, deers...). They seem to have 4 timings from the website 800,1030,1415,1600.
by Yunxi rate this post as useful

Which time slot for boat ride? 2006/9/24 10:26
Can anyone please advise which time slot for the boat ride will there be higher chances of viewing animals on the coast?(bears, deers...). 800,1030,1415,1600? Thanks.
by Yunxi rate this post as useful

.... 2006/9/25 09:04
Many wild animals are more active in the night, morning and evening than during daytime. So, I just guess that the 8:00 and 16:00 departure will give you a higher chance.

When I took the boat, we saw nothing but seagulls.

Caution: During October, the 16:00 departure is not operated. The last departure of the day is 14:15.

Rausukuru Pension & Cruise 2008/9/10 18:15
Anyone who can help me on the following:
1) I will be staying at Dolphin Hotel in Shiretoko Utoro, should I be taking the cruise from Utoro? I would like to take the
Siretokomisaki Cruise.

2) Is there differences in sightings between Shiretokomisaki Cruise & Siretokomisaki Cruise?

3) I will drive to Rausu and would like to stay at Rausukuru Pension, they have the same cruise promotion - has anyone try yet?

4) I have try calling Rausukuru Pension, but they speak Japanese. Anyone can help me on how to make the reservation?

Thank you and appreciate your reply

Regards,
Cheyenne

by Cheyenne rate this post as useful

reply to this thread