Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train or JR for everyday commute? 2006/9/21 10:37
I will be attending school in Mita Area, would it be too expensive for me to the the Yamanote JR line, and therefore should take the train? Is there a monthly unlimited JR train pass for students?
by K.B.  

... 2006/9/21 10:40
It depends where you live. There are monthly commuter passes for given routes.
by Uji rate this post as useful

transport 2006/9/21 10:45
I'm not sure why you are differentiating "JR" and "trains"- JR runs train lines, the Yamanote line is an above-ground train line. Are you asking about JR vs subway or a private line for example?

Hard for us to know what your options are without knowing the two stations you will be commuting between.

Commuter passes are often a lot cheaper than single tickets, on any of the lines, if you will be using the same route 5 days a week or more.
by Sira rate this post as useful

subway 2006/9/21 10:50
Between the Tamichi station and somewhere in Shibuya, not sure where I will live exactly yet. And yes, I mean the JR train v. subway. About how much should the commuter pass be for that commute, and would it be cheaper to use the subway?
by K.B. rate this post as useful

. 2006/9/21 11:14
Between the Tamichi station and somewhere in Shibuya, not sure where I will live exactly yet. And yes, I mean the JR train v. subway. About how much should the commuter pass be for that commute, and would it be cheaper to use the subway?

It would depend on where in Shibuya and what station you lived at.

Shibuya is a big place with many different train companies and train lines, JR, Subway (two different companies) and other Private train companies.

Depending on where you lived you might end up taking both a private rail company and switching to JR, or riding a private rail company and switching to the subway, or subway to JR, or even subway company to subway company. JR only or one subway only, there are many combinations.

Off the top of my head I figure maybe 7000-9000yen a month. Depending on your school and student status you can also get a student discount on your commuter pass.

Commuter passes come in 1 month, 3 month and 6 month (most of the time) its usually cheaper to get a 3 month pass than purchasing a 1 month pass every month for 3 months (same for 6 month pass).
by .. rate this post as useful

... 2006/9/21 11:25
Thank you. So should I make an effort to have a commute on a single company rail-line, and will therefore save money on everyday commute? If so, does the JR Yamanote the most effient one because it will take my to multiple city centers?

.. 2006/9/21 11:38
Thank you. So should I make an effort to have a commute on a single company rail-line, and will therefore save money on everyday commute? If so, does the JR Yamanote the most effient one because it will take my to multiple city centers?

Depends on what train company and distance. Yes JR seems the most effient because the station you want to travel on is on the yamanote line (not because it can take you to multiple city centers, as the commuter pass if you go outside your designated area you pay extra).

The cost of living in Shibuya would be a little higher as well, have you researched into living in another part of Tokyo?

.. 2006/9/21 11:46
thanks for your reply. I have researched other areas, but would like to stay somewhere trendy and young. I am planning on staying in Sakura House, which should be economical.

. 2006/9/21 11:52
Sakura houses in the Shibua area seem way more expensive and sell out faster, than in other parts of Tokyo. If you're sleeping at night would it matter much if the area was trendy or not? I would look more when deciding an apartment or guest house to price and accessability, than if it is trendy or not.

.. 2006/9/21 12:02
although that is a fair response, it is somewhat subjective. Some prefer an area where they might be immerced in pop culture and street life of Tokyo and would be willing to pay more for that experience. I am trying to be cost consious without sacrificing things that I determine important to my travels. Besides, Shibuya seems to be well located and on that JR line that I will be using.

omiya to tsukuba 2007/10/31 19:17
I will be based in Omiya by mid November while my relatives will be in Tsukuba. My job will finish around 1030pm in Omiya, any suggestions about the commuter's pass in that area. I will be commuting at least 2x a week.
by leng rate this post as useful

reply to this thread