Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Use a Japanese Cellphone in Canada 2006/10/13 08:30
Well I'm about to buy an unlocked japanese cellphone but I don,t know what to do to activate it here, could someone help me?
I'm from Canada so if anyone already got an unlocked cellphone and that could help me thanks^^
by Cellphone  

. 2006/10/14 05:21
You're cellphone if it did work in Canada, will lack a lot of the functions that you will find in Japan, ie don't expect to be watching broadband videos, or speeding through the internet.
by .. rate this post as useful

Pay-as-you-go 2006/10/14 17:25
If the Japanese phone works outside of Japan (which is only true for a few types of phones and you might want to verify this), you'll need to get a pay-as-you-go type SIM for a mobile telephone operator. If the phone is a 3G phone, you'll need to find a 3G pay-as-you-go deal.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

. 2006/10/15 22:55
If the phone is a 3G phone, you'll need to find a 3G pay-as-you-go deal.

Most Japanese unlockable phones are 3G/GSM dual-mode phones. So GSM SIM cards should work too. I'm afraid 3G coverage may be still limited in North America.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

meringue4 .. 2006/10/16 11:08
Since u mentioned that most 3G or GSM dualband Japanese phones are unlocked.. where can i get them in Japan ? I will like to use them in my country .. thanks
by Hoon rate this post as useful

. 2006/10/16 15:57
most 3G or GSM dualband Japanese phones are unlocked

No. I said most phones that are sold in Japan and can be unlocked are 3G/GSM dual. There are many 3G/GSM dual phones that cannot be unlocked.

using it now in toronto 2006/10/18 03:12
I bought japanese cell phone at chinese store in toronto. I have Rogers monthly plan. If you go to chinese cell phone shop at chinese mall, i am sure they can do it. good luck!
by maple rate this post as useful

using japanese cellphone in canada 2008/4/25 06:19
hello, I've brought my japanese cellphone to canada and unlocked it. Thankfully, calling someone works fine,
but sending text messages seems to be a problem. When I send a message, it said message has been sent, but the other cellphone doesn't receive my text message. Is is impossible to send text messages with japanese cellphones to local canadian cellphones?
more details and answers would be greatly appreciated.
by josh rate this post as useful

. 2008/4/25 16:19
Have you set your operator's SMS center number?

Japanese phones are designed for a specific Japanese operator. Even if you have unocked one, it won't behave like a foreign phone. You need some knowledge.

reply to this thread