Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Ikebukuro safe for gaijin ? 2006/10/20 02:39
I'm planning in staying at the Crown Plaza Metropolitan Tokyo with my family next year. I'm wondering if the Ikebukuro area is safe for stranger. Even at night time ? Is it safe to walk around to drink a beer in the area surrounding the hotel ? Please tell me what you think. I've read plenty of different things over the Internet about Ikebukuro :
"Living in an area known for its juvenile crime, 21 year-old Makoto has become a member of a youth gang called the G-Boys."
or
"This is a less expensive area of the city and is a little rough around the edges with some adult bars on the side roads." or " Ikebukuro is a shopping area of Tokyo, connected with gangs, whores, yakuzas, grocers, police officers, drug, the clandestine ones, otakus, serials killers and punks who breakdance."
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
etudiantul@hotmail.com
by Top1708  

Ikebukuro 2006/10/20 18:45
Top,

Ikebukuro does have a few seedy areas - notably on the north-west side of the station, but in general, it is no more or less safe than any other major shopping/entertainment district in Tokyo.
My parents have stayed at that hotel a number of times and had no problems at all roaming around on their own until late in the evening with minimal Japanese ability. It's a nice hotel, close to the station, and I would recommend it.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Completely Safe 2006/10/20 23:31
I am an American and while I am accustomed to more dangerous cities, my wife and felt totally safe at all hours in Ikebukro, we stayed in Sunshine City.
by PD rate this post as useful

. 2006/10/21 02:42
I've stayed at both the Crowne Plaza and the Toyoko Inn to the North of the station. I never felt endangered in any way, its probably as safe as any other place in Tokyo. I did notice some "seedy" establishments, but it was not dangerous for one to walk around. I had two female friends recently stay at the crowne plaza as well and they never had a problem.
by john rate this post as useful

Ikebukuro West Gate Park 2006/10/21 03:00
Your quote about 21 year old Makoto is from a Japanese TV series called IWGP (Ikebukuro West Gate Park) and has no resemblence to real life.

Tokyo is one of the safest cities in the world, but still everyone needs to use their common sense. Ikebukuro is fine, especially if you have ever been (or live in) any major Western city.
by Seth rate this post as useful

. 2006/10/21 03:10
Seth is correct, the quote you posted is from a television drama show.
by .. rate this post as useful

Daijoubu! 2006/10/21 08:21
Hi,
I agree, I've stayed at that exact hotel in Ikebukuro. I thought it was nice. There's plenty to do there, too. There's a nice movie theater close to it, if you wanted to check out a Japanese movie and a Mos Burger (not like they are in short supply in Tokyo). I didn't notice anything shady.
by Lacey rate this post as useful

Safe 2006/10/23 01:27
Hi Top,

I stayed in Kimi Ryokan in Ikebukuro. It's in a residential area and very quiet at night but I felt safe walking with my friend (another gal) at night.

We passed by some night clubs and there were some guys standing outside asking if we wanted to sing Karaoke. We simply walked away quickly and they left us alone.

So don't worry, Ikebukuro is safe.. but like in any city, we still have to be alert and be aware of our surroundings.
by Gal rate this post as useful

it's good 2006/10/23 09:12
I always stay in Ikebukuro ( 5 times) & walk around feeling very safe late at night. I have also taken both my daughters there and they too felt good.
Just take the usual amount of caution and you'll be fine. It's a fun place to stay.
by Rin-chan rate this post as useful

Ikebukuro 2006/10/23 10:09
I often stay in Ikebukuro (sunshine city prince) when i'm in Tokyo and have found the only problem is overcrowded streets, i feel just as safe their as i do anywhere else in Japan.
by Philip rate this post as useful

Nightlife@Ikebukuro-Sunshine City Prince 2007/12/4 16:06
My boyfriend and I are staying at the Sunshine City Prince in Ikebukuro. This is our 1st trip to Japan. I would like to know if there are anything good bars or clubs or other hangouts around that area becase Sometimes we may feel restless and would like to stroll around the surrounding area at night (or in the daytime). We are both 20 years old Canadians.

Also, I know that most of the nightlife in the tokyo are at the Roppongi and Shibuya area, any good recommendations? Thanks for your help
by sandie rate this post as useful

Safe as anywhere 2007/12/4 20:23
I stayed in Ikebukuro last year and felt totally safe.

The guys trying to get women into host bars, and the women trying to get men into hostess bars completely ignore gaijin.

The only people we were accosted by were friendly spruikers for some restaurants (one of which was incredibly good).

We were based fairly close to a massive pachinko parlour and walking by it very late at night posed no danger.

We even walked around the tiny residential areas further out that were poorly lit and still felt safe.

The media (newspapers, tv) tend to beat up crime and make it to be more prevalent than it really is.

We stayed in the area because friends stayed there some months before us, with their two small children and said it was safe, cheap and clean.

I think you will have no problems.
by Natalie rate this post as useful

Safest place in the world 2007/12/4 23:23
I live in Ikebukuro, its perfectly safe! I don't know, maybe the exact translation of Ikebukuro, pond bag, in english sounds a little intimidating?

As far as night life goes, though, Ikebukuro is somewhat lacking. You'll have a better time in Shibuya or Roppongi
by Gaijinjland rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/5 10:36
To my knowledge, he translation would be 'a bag of ponds' as in "a lot of ponds'. :)

Ikebukuro is very safe compared to any western city.

I occasionally stroll around the are with a friend, nothing ever happened.

Once I went alone and accidentally walked into the more sleazy area in the northwest, some girls were asking me if I wanted a massage (or more), but still there was no sign of danger anywhere.

I never felt anywhere as safe as in Japan.

Of course, women still have to be on alert in Japan in general, as sexual assaults do happen. A friend of mine has been groped by some guy, since then she carries pepper spray with her.
by Haf rate this post as useful

... 2008/5/15 12:45
I was just there in April. I'm a 19 year old male and I was alone.

I never once felt unsafe, I wandered around the whole area, many times, at night too since my hotel is in the area.

My hotel was along the same street as Sunshine City. Right across from HMV.

I feel more unsafe at home in Canada.
by Nathan89 rate this post as useful

Absolutely... 2008/5/20 12:20
I stayed at the Kimi Ryokan several times in my early twenties. As a young woman, I felt completely at ease even late at night. Common sense always applies...but the Kimi was traditional, inexpensive, and WONDERFUL. Night life...I agree with another message posted: Rippongi or Shibuya. Oh....have fun!!! No matter what your budget is, I would recommend staying at the Kimi for at least one night.
by Kymberly rate this post as useful

reply to this thread