Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

Free N Easy Holiday in Hokkaido 2006/11/23 13:41
Need advise:
1. Is it convenient to go FREE & EASY in Hokkaido?
2. Among all the cities in Hokkaido, wic are the most recommended ones during winter month of Feb?
by oishii  

... 2006/11/23 23:10
1. Is it convenient to go FREE & EASY in Hokkaido?

I don't understand what you mean.

2. Among all the cities in Hokkaido, wic are the most recommended ones during winter month of Feb?

Depends on your interests! Sapporo for shopping and entertainment. Niseko, Furano, etc. for winter sports. Noboribetsu, etc. for onsen bathing...
by Uji rate this post as useful

Free N Easy in Hokkaido 2006/11/24 16:17
Hi Uji...what I meant was is it convenient for me to arrange day tours myself when I reach Hokkaido. Reason is I want to explore Hokkaido at my own pace and do not wish to follow the tour group which is always very rush and end up being more tired. As I am going for a holiday, I want an enjoyable & relax trip. I plan to book air tickets & accomodation only from my local agent.
by Oishii rate this post as useful

Need advise on Free N Easy in Hokkaido 2006/11/25 12:07
Hi....can anyone give me an advise. Thanks a million....
Has anyone tried this Hot Spring Resort?
http://www.takimotokan.co.jp/english/
by Oishii rate this post as useful

... 2006/11/26 18:51
Yes, it is relatively easy to travel free and easy in Hokkaido.

Has anyone tried this Hot Spring Resort?
http://www.takimotokan.co.jp/english/

Yes, I stayed there one night and can highly recommend it. They have some of the nicest baths and bathing water I have experienced so far. And they have the best buffet dinner and breakfast that I have eaten in Japan so far.

Free N Easy Holiday in Hokkaido 2006/11/27 01:28
Hi Uji....thanks a million for reply. It's of great help.
by oishii rate this post as useful

Free N Easy Holiday in Hokkaido 2007/1/8 20:31
Hi...at last I have finalised my itinerary but appreciate more advice here...

1. NOBORIBETSU
1a) plan to visit "Hell Valley", how to get there from Daiichi Takimotokan? How long would the visit take? Thought of going right after we checked in the hotel in the late afternoon.

1b) Between Edo Wonderland & Ainu Musuem - which would worth the visit? How do I get there? Any possibility to cover both places of interest in a day?

1c) What are the night activities @Noboribetsu?

2. Sapporo
Can anyone advise me how far apart is Century Royal Hotel to JR Nikko Hotel...

2a) Are these places within walking distances?
- Sapporo Clock Towe
- Odori Park
- Susukino

2b) A day trip to Otaru - would it be convenient to just pop in the train or to engage a day trip package. What would be the last train from Otaru back to Sapporo?

2c) Left a day to explore Sapporo...would it be sufficient to cover these 3 places?
- Ishiya Chocoloate Factory
- Sapporo Beer Museum
- Nijo Market

Thanks a million in advance..
by oiishi rate this post as useful

... 2007/1/9 09:13
1a) plan to visit "Hell Valley", how to get there from Daiichi Takimotokan?

The valley starts immediately behind the hotel.

How long would the visit take?

It depends how far you go. I have never been there in February, but during summer, there are nice walking trails to nearby sulfurous lakes. You can see just the valley itself in 30 minutes, but you can spend two hours or more if you follow the hiking trails. However, I suspect that the hiking trails may not be open in winter. I am not sure.

1b) Between Edo Wonderland & Ainu Musuem - which would worth the visit?

I have not been to the Edo Wonderland in Noboribetsu, only the one in Ise. It was expensive and deserted, but made nice memories, nevertheless. regarding the Ainu Museum, do you mean the one in Shiraoi. It is quite interesting. Comparing the two attractions is a little bit like comparing Disneyland with the National Museum of Tokyo. I think it comes down to personal interest.

As for access, the Edo Wonderland is much easier to access, just a short bus ride from Noboribetsu Onsen. Shiraoi's Ainu Museum, however, requires a bus ride to the station, a 20 minute train ride and either a walk or taxi ride to the museum.

If you have a full day, and study the train timetables in advance, it should be possible to visit both in one day.

What are the night activities @Noboribetsu?

Dining, drinking and bathing.

Can anyone advise me how far apart is Century Royal Hotel to JR Nikko Hotel...

About 200 meters!

Are these places within walking distances?
- Sapporo Clock Towe
- Odori Park
- Susukino

Yes.

A day trip to Otaru - would it be convenient to just pop in the train or to engage a day trip package.

Otaru is very easy to explore by yourself:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6700.html

What would be the last train from Otaru back to Sapporo?

At 23:00.

Left a day to explore Sapporo...would it be sufficient to cover these 3 places?
- Sapporo Beer Museum
- Nijo Market

I am not sure what you mean with sufficient? The time it takes to cover each attraction is different from person to person. The three attractions might make a good day program for some people, while for others it could be too little.

can i add on a question?? 2007/1/9 13:06
would going to daisetsuzan and or lake akon in february be possible? is there too much snow? also are there any types of tour guides that can show me around any nature places in hokkaido?
by photographer rate this post as useful

... 2007/1/9 14:38
would going to daisetsuzan and or lake akon in february be possible? is there too much snow?

Yes, it is possible to go there. There is a lot of snow, but streets are cleared regularly. But I am not sure how attractive the parks are in winter. There are some ski slopes in Daisetsuzan and I imagine that the lakes of Akan National Park must look nice in the winter scenery, however, I am not sure if it is worth the effort and time to go there.

also are there any types of tour guides that can show me around any nature places in hokkaido?

Yes. Here is English information on winter tours by Hokkaido Chuo Bus:
http://www.chuo-bus.co.jp/kannkou/images/english07w.pdf

thanks...what about cranes? 2007/1/9 15:04
thanks for your help! i see you are all over this board for Hokkaido information! you dont give tours by any chance do you??

do you know about good places to view cranes??

Free N Easy in Hokkaido 2007/1/9 15:15
Uji.....once again, thanks for your helpful information.
One more question: between Century Royal Hotel & JR Nikko Hotel, which would be a better & more convenient place to stay?

... 2007/1/9 15:44
you dont give tours by any chance do you??

No, I am too busy answering the questions.

do you know about good places to view cranes??

Kushiro Shitsugen National Park near Kushiro:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/regional/hokkaido/kusiro.html

... 2007/1/9 15:48
between Century Royal Hotel & JR Nikko Hotel, which would be a better & more convenient place to stay?

Both are very convenient and among Sapporo's better hotels. I stayed at the Century Royal Hotel, and it very pleasant. The JR Tower was booked out, so I have not had the opportunity to stay there. I cannot judge, but I think they are rather similar in terms of service level and comfort.

haha 2007/1/9 15:52
ok fair enough! keep up the good work, you have been really helpful to me not only on this post but by reading your comments on other posts as well. thanks again!

Free N Easy in Hokkaido 2007/1/9 16:14
Hi Uji....thanks a million for all your helpful information.
Out of curosity...what's your occupation? You seems to travel a lot around Japan..if its part of your job, then ...wow...that must be pretty fun & enjoyable...

... 2007/1/10 08:29
Out of curosity...what's your occupation?

I work for this website. It involves quite a bit of traveling around Japan :)

makes sense 2007/1/10 08:45
i guess that makes sense why you know everything! if you are looking for photos for this website, please check out my photos when you get some free time... shop.evanpike.com

Free N Easy in Hokkaido 2007/1/10 14:22
Wow...that's an interesting job. Get to see and enjoy at the same time. Wish I could get a job like that...kekekeke.....

Hokkaido 2007/1/11 00:10
We saw a lot of the same sites when we went to Hokkaido in May for our honemoon. My wife is Japanese, which made traveling easier but I think you will find it relatively easy to find your way around.
We flew into Chitose on the first day & took the train to Otaru and stayed one night. The next day we took the bus into Sapporo and stayed for one night & then rented a car and drove to Noboribetsu for two nights. We went back to Sapporo for one final night before flying back out the next day.

Here are some answers to some of your questions based on my experience:
. NOBORIBETSU
1a) plan to visit "Hell Valley", how to get there from Daiichi Takimotokan? How long would the visit take? Thought of going right after we checked in the hotel in the late afternoon.

Hell Valley is right behind the hotel, you can easily walk. Pln on at least a few hours for that portion. But there are also other areas with crater lakes & hot springs up the mountain from there which are well worth visiting.

1b) Between Edo Wonderland & Ainu Musuem - which would worth the visit? How do I get there? Any possibility to cover both places of interest in a day?

We droveto the Ainu Museum and found it well worth it. I am not sure about transportation.

1c) What are the night activities Noboribetsu?

At night, we walked to a sushi restaurant (fantastic seafood in Otaru) and then walked the canal. It is pretty quiet at night.

2b) A day trip to Otaru - would it be convenient to just pop in the train or to engage a day trip package. What would be the last train from Otaru back to Sapporo?

Not sure about train schedules but I reccomend staying a night in Otaru so you don't feel rushed.

2c) Left a day to explore Sapporo...would it be sufficient to cover these 3 places?
- Sapporo Beer Museum
- Nijo Market

I think you would have time but it would be a full day. The Saki Museum & Milk/Ice Cream Museum are actually pretty cool too!

by cf rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

reply to this thread