Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

the best places to live in Japan? 2006/11/26 07:22
I'm a high school student who is (hopefully) going to Japan in March. It's part of an exchange program and I would be there for a year. I know I probably won't have the choice on where I go, but I would like to give them a few suggestions.
The problem though, is that I don't know where I want to go. I don't like huge cities because they're too crowded for me (I'm only 4'11, I would get lost in a second!) and there is the occasional city that smells awful because of pollution. I'm more of a suburban girl. I like excitment, but not too much like you could experience in a busy city. I also like nature a lot, and love to be around/in it. I'm basically looking for a place where a teenage girl can have fun and party, but can still relax when she wants to.
I hope I've clarified things for you, I know it's probably confusing. But if you have a response, thanks so much for your help! :)
by Risa  

Best of both worlds 2006/11/27 15:51
Hakone is a quaint spa town about one hour from Tokyo. Popular destination for Japanese and foreign tourists. Great access to Tokyo, Yokohama, Mt. Fuji and great beaches on the south end of the Izu peninsula.

You should also consider Gifu as well. It is a small city just outside Nagoya. This is a perfect location to live if you want travel and see the most of Japan.

Good Luck.
by Tom rate this post as useful

where? 2007/11/3 07:36
Where do I look for in a nice place to live in japan. Well my sitation i would love to visit more likely live in japan. Where do i look to live in japan a nice area.?
by japanlover rate this post as useful

places to live in Japan 2007/11/3 08:03
Does climate affect your choice? Japan's smaller cities range from way up north in Hokkaido to south in Okinawa - kind of from one extreme to another.
I think Sapporo would be a fun place to live - it looks lively, it's easy to get around, and it certainly has its share of famous festivals. If you don't like snow, though, it wouldn't be a good fit. I have heard good things about Hakodate as well.
Aomori, Hiroshima, Matsumoto, Nagasaki - all these are towns that are not as large as Tokyo yet have some life to them and some tourist attractions as well. From Aomori to the north down to Nagasaki you have very different climates. Then there's Okinawa, which is very different from other areas of Japan. Travel is not as convenient there as elsewhere as they do not have the extensive train network as in other places of Japan, but they have buses.
I'd live in Tokushima just to experience Awa-Odori again, it was that much fun.
You don't seem to like big cities but keep in mind that the bigger cities will be where you will find more western restaurants and supplies...no, you're not going to Japan for that but once you're there a few months, you might be surprised how much you miss one or two particular things.
Since you will be in Japan for a year, you will have different experiences than people who can only afford to be in Japan a short time...I think you will enjoy (and at times be frustrated by) any location.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Kishiwada 2007/11/3 13:59
I live in a twon that is next to Kishiwada (Osaka perfecture) Kishiwada is about 30 minutes by train from the center of Osaka it is also close enough to Nara and Kyoto to make day trips possible. Kobe is also a short hop away. In the fall it is host to the Danjiri matsuri festival which is a very intresting and fun time to be here. Weather wise you will expierence all 4 seasons and the Sakura trees that surround Kishiwada castle are excellent for viewing.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/regional/osaka/sakai_kish...
by Redrum rate this post as useful

reply to this thread