Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How big is the hip-hop scene in japan? 2006/11/29 08:27
I ask that question because I am an african-american male and somewhat ignorant as to the japanese culture. That's why I am tring to learn about the culture and customs of japan. I hear the hip-hop is big in japan. I plan on visiting japan within the next year or two , and now i currently am learning to speak japanese. Thank goodness I came across this site because I am learning a lot already. I mainly jus want to be well informed as much as possible about the currnet state of japan. Any info would be a big help , thanks.
by ryan  

pretty big! 2006/11/29 19:21
Hey man.

Yeah hip hop is big over here... you got the fashion labels running things like BAPE (getting a bit old know, but you know what i mean.)

Hip hip fashion is all over the place, although I suspect most of the people wearing it dont really understand the relavence of what they look like and are just following a visual trend.

Loads of clubs play it and there are a few decent mcs.

Basically you wont be disappointed by the amount over here, but maybe a bit put off b y how false it can get.

hope this helps
by owen rate this post as useful

Thanks 2006/12/1 09:24
Hey thanks a lot owen. No this really makes me wanna visit japan. Great info.
by Ryan rate this post as useful

before you pack your Timbaland... 2006/12/1 09:53
It depends where you are. I am in the Kansai area and I don't really see a major effect. From what some Japanese friends told me, Rap was big 10 years ago. But now the Hip-hop fashion is scatered. But it aint that deep. But if you go to some parts of Osaka, you might get some strong love of the culture there.
My point is don't get all hopeful.
ps 'no disrespect to the first post.
by In rate this post as useful

Yes... 2006/12/1 11:41
In Tokyo it is very big! The music and the fashion is big and the people do know what it is about. I think if you go to Tokyo you could be very pleased! (Umi...just outside Tokyo)
by Umi rate this post as useful

hip-hop movement in Japan 2006/12/2 00:08
First off, let me just say that the there is a HUGE hip-hop movement in Japan, especially in Tokyo (which is where I lived for 8 years). There are MANY clubs that cater to all your hip hop needs. Yes, it is more mainstream (that's what they're most exposed to) and Japanese kids do wear all the American clothing labels and it may seem super false at times, but some of these kids ARE really into the music and HAVE the knowledge, so don't underestimate them. There is an underground hip-hop scene with a lot of good Japanese hip-hop. It's interesting to go to one of these shows, so if you get the chance I would def reccommend it. If you have any questions on specific places let me know...
by MEW rate this post as useful

Hip-hop 2006/12/2 12:17
We will be travelling to Tokyo next week. My daughter is a hip-hop dancer and wants to visit some great clubs while in Japan. Any suggestions?
by Shari rate this post as useful

Tokyo Hip Hop 2006/12/5 12:43
by josh909 rate this post as useful

i gotta ? 2 2007/9/15 07:13
wut about hip hop venues and shows. any info on that would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
by cass rate this post as useful

reply to this thread