Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kinnotake Ryokan Hakone 2006/12/12 23:20
I am planning to stay at this Ryokan: http://www.kinnotake.com/
They are located in Sengokuhara which I understand, is somewhat close to Gora station. My question is how convenient is it to the Hakone sightseeing? Are there any buses next to ryokan? How would I manage to see the Gora ropeway, lake Ashi cruise, open air museum, etc. How's the ryokan itself? Search of the name mostly returns japanese comments. Could someone please take a look if they are positive or negative..Thanks very much!
by Ilia  

... 2006/12/13 09:55
My question is how convenient is it to the Hakone sightseeing? Are there any buses next to ryokan?

The closest bus stop is a one minute walk from the ryokan. It is called Daigatake (‘䃖Šx). Buses operate every 15-20 minutes with connections to Togendai at Lake Ashi (8 minutes) and in direction of Hakone-Yumoto (30 minutes).

If you walk 300 meters to the next bus stop, you have, furthermore, a direct bus connection to Gora Station (15 minutes, opearting every 15-20 minutes).

A map:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html
The ryokan is "1cm south of Sengoku"
by Uji rate this post as useful

Uji, thank you! 2006/12/13 10:54
Uji, this is very helpful. Thank you very much. One more question. I understand I have two options of getting there: 1) take the shinkansen from Shinjuku to HAkoneyumoto, change to Hakone Tozan railway, get off at Gora station and find the bus to go to the Sengokuhara (how will I know which bus to take to the ryokan). The second option is to take Odakyu highway bus from Shijuku to Togendai and take the bus from there correct? Again, how do I know which one is the right bus?
And which option you think is better/easier/more interesting. Thanks again and sorry for taking your time. Ilia
by Ilia rate this post as useful

... 2006/12/13 11:12
I understand I have two options of getting there

You have three main options of getting there (Odakyu train, JR and Odakyu highway bus). They are explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html

Note that the direct bus from Shinjuku actually stops at Daigatake bus stop! That would be very convenient, but it is not covered by the Hakone Free Pass between Shinjuku and Gotemba.

If you take the train, take the train to either Hakone-Yumoto Station or Odawara Station, and transfer to a Togendai bound bus, which will bring you to Daigatake bus stop. There is no need to take the Tozan train to Gora.

And which option you think is better/easier/more interesting.

I personally would use a Hakone Free Pass and access Hakone by Odakyu Railways. I think it is the easiest.

If you have a Japan Rail Pass, I recommend to take the Tokaido Shinkansen to Odawara and then use a Hakone Free Pass from there.

If you have lots of lugagge, the direct bus will be most convenient. Although, I personally tend to chose trains over buses due to the higher risk of buses getting stuck in traffic, and because buses tend to be more difficult to use for foreigners than trains.

Getting there by 2008/2/14 21:27
The bus was the easiest + cheapest (1/2 to 2/3 cheaper ) since we got heavy luggages and 2 kids. Took taxi to Shinjuku station. Went to HALC Dept store/ Building - west exit. Street level, there was a bus ticket purchase office. Bus runs every 1/2 hour . Bus Stop #35 is right in front of the ticket office, goes directly to "Daigatake". Kinnotake is on the same side of the bus stop up the little lane. 2 mins walk, 20 seconds run for my kids. Total about 2&half hr ride.
Return- few options, hotel has english speaking staff, can give you all kinds of options.
by Sharon rate this post as useful

Getting there by bus 2008/2/14 22:16
By the way, none of us speak any Japanese, and it was super easy getting there by bus, and we didnt have to bother with transfer.
by Sharon rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/15 15:10
Sharon, thank you very much for your useful feedback!

reply to this thread