Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do pregnant Japanese women wear kimonos? 2006/12/19 01:13
Hi :)

I'm planning a Japanese themed party for my 25th birthday in March. I'd like to wear a traditional kimono, however by that time I will be 28 weeks pregnant. I was wondering - do Japanese women actually wear kimonos? I know they're supposed to make the body look flat :P
by jeski  

clarification 2006/12/19 22:27
for some reason the word 'pregnant' got omitted from my sentence.. it was meant to read ''Do pregnant Japanese women wear kimonos?''.
by jeski rate this post as useful

... 2006/12/20 00:32
Pregnant women today don't wear kimonos. At least I've never seen one. But of course, people in the past wore kimonos whatever condition they were in. Probably up to the 60s, there were quite a few pregnant women that wore kimonos. And of course, you don't use an ordinary hako-obi belt. You use a soft sash.
by Uco rate this post as useful

.... 2006/12/21 02:00
The soft sash will not go with tomesode as visiting kimono. I know some Japanese young women who wore kimono during pregnancy. They were very good and elegant dressers. If the lady wears kimono during pregnancy, she needs a hara-obi, it's not "maternity girdle" in Japanese. Anyway, one who wear kimono needs some getting used to it.
by NipponDanji rate this post as useful

.... 2006/12/21 03:06
This is just an aside. "Taiko" isn't a name of obi's type.
by NipponDanji rate this post as useful

typo 2006/12/21 12:09
I don't know why NipponDanji brought up Taiko, but I guess I wanted to say that pregnant women can't use fukuro-obi. I don't know why I wrote "hako"!

Re: 2006/12/21 19:47
I see.
by NipoonDanji rate this post as useful

sorry i don't know but can I ask.. 2007/10/28 03:05
I'm looking for somewhere to learn how to properly do a traditional Japanese pregnancy girdle wrap. Is the proper name for this a Hako obi or Taiko obi, (for the girdle wrap?) x
by gayle rate this post as useful

haraobi? 2007/10/28 12:00
Gayle,

I'm not sure what you mean by "pregnancy girdle wrap" but I would naturally imagine that you mean "hara-obi (literally meaning 'tummy belt'" which has nothing to do with kimonos. There is also no "proper" way of wrapping it. You just wrap it around and around and around while adjusting it so that you'll feel comfortable. You can even sew it and cut it to fit your needs.

reply to this thread