Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 32

1 2
next

How do i say my name in Japanese? 2007/1/27 01:46
My name is Stephen Marques (pronounced ''steefen marks'') and was wondering how i would say and write it in japanese characters. Please include Romaji also. Thanks.
by Stephen Marques  

Romaji 2007/1/28 21:25
It could be Sutefun Macosa.
by mukund rate this post as useful

... 2007/1/28 22:23
If it is pronounced "steefen marks" (with long "ee" sound in Stephen) then it will be スティーフン・マークス (Sutiifun Maakusu).
by AK rate this post as useful

my name .. 2007/2/28 09:01
ohaaayuuu

my name is "aml"
how do say my name in japanese ..

ja nee
by aml rate this post as useful

Aml 2007/2/28 09:05
Aml,

It depends on exactly how you pronounce it, but I would guess "アムル" (Amuru).

by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

whats my name 2007/3/2 13:02
hello someone help me with the name I have, its a difficult one maybe for you

my name is Zelg Matulovic
by Zelg rate this post as useful

. 2007/3/2 16:23
Its been my experience, if you have a name, just pronouce your name how you would in your native tounge. If your name is Stephen, say its Stephen, you'd be amazed about how some Japanese can pronouce names atleast. The only rhyme or reason I would figure is if you would want to know how it would appear in Katakana, or written down and then the Japanese pronounication goes into practice.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/3/2 16:25
I take that back, unless you had an overly difficult name then simplifying it might help.

by John rate this post as useful

Names in Japanese 2007/3/2 16:32
Zelg,

It's difficult without knowing exactly how you pronouce it, but I would guess as follows...
ゼルグ・マチュロビック
(Zerugu Machurobikku)

hmm 2007/3/19 19:52
How about Emily? Since I have heard that pronouncing L's would be difficult.. Emirui or something? =s
by Emily rate this post as useful

Emily 2007/3/19 20:01
Emily,

Your name would be written as "エミリ" (emiri) in Japanese.

My name? 2007/3/21 03:37
and what about my name. Laurie i tried couple times but i can't out this problem....
by laurie rate this post as useful

Help with my name if you can 2007/3/21 06:38
This is great.

My given name is Federico

How would it be said in Japan

Is Frederick easier?

How would the say Fred?

Maybe i should use Rico

Thanks, if you have any idea.
by Rico rate this post as useful

Names in Japanese 2007/3/21 06:57
To Laurie, Rico, and anyone else wanting their names in Japanese,

Try here...

http://www.japanese-name-translation.com/

Why bother? 2007/3/22 09:29
When a Japanese person comes to the US, does he bastardize his name to (ムリヤリ) cram it into English phonetics? No. Someone named Ryuji Takeshita introduces himself as such. He doesn't pervert it into "Reeyooji Takesheeta."

And there's no Japanese equivalent to your name. It's not like in the West, where Stephen=Istvan=Estefan=Stefano, etc.

In short, "Japanizing" a Western name seems pretty futile. Which is why the Japanese don't bother doing it the other way around. (Though don't get me started on Japanese dudes with names like Kazuyuki who (again, ムリヤリ) adopt names like Tony.)
by Dave rate this post as useful

The misfortune of being named "Laurie" 2007/3/22 09:33
Your name ends up sounding like "Rori," which is part of the Japanese neologism for "Lolita complex" (rorikon). :-)

No worse than being named Dave, though. It's kind of close to "debu," which means "porky" (as in "fat"). Fat dude that I am, I learned quickly not to go by "Dave." :-)

laff 2007/3/22 11:02
(Though don't get me started on Japanese dudes with names like Kazuyuki who (again, ムリヤリ) adopt names like Tony.)

by Dave

Please, tell a couple of name stories, youre a funny guy.

by SB rate this post as useful

... 2007/3/22 11:59
I have nothing against people who wonder how their names would be pronounced in Japan/by Japanese people, so that they would recognize it :) If you are coming to Japan and wondering/worrying if your name can be pronounced right in Japan, I'd say don't worry, just pronounce it the way it is, and see how THAT is picked up by the locals here. As Dave says, no need to intentionaly shorten (I wouldn't say "bastardize" but anyway) the name before you actually hear how it's said in Japan.

If people want to see how their names would look in katakana, in a foreign language, that's just curiosity and that is welcome :) (In that sense I agree with John's earlier post.)

And while I appreciate Dave's input, I have slight objections:

- I think "Laurie" would be pronounced Ro-o-ri-i (with long vowels, so in total four syllables), written ローリー, so I would not worry about having that associated with lolita complex thing.

- The same with "Dave," it will be De-i-bu, or De-e-bu (with a long/double "e") (in any case three syllables) so it's not really that close to "debu."
by AK rate this post as useful

Objections sustained 2007/3/22 12:38
AK wrote:

- I think ''Laurie'' would be pronounced Ro-o-ri-i (with long vowels, so in total four syllables), written ローリー, so I would not worry about having that associated with lolita complex thing.

Actually, I would have written it ローリ, but reasonable people can disagree on this. At any rate, my alternative is still admittedly different from ロリコンのロリ。I was just being silly (if sloppy).

Still, it's worth noting that Japanese people can be equally silly/sloppy with their phonetic puns. For example, the pentagonal pencil for good luck on exams (gokaku--goukaku). A silly and weak pun, to be sure. But, 通じる。 (it works)

- The same with ''Dave,'' it will be De-i-bu, or De-e-bu (with a long/double ''e'') (in any case three syllables) so it's not really that close to ''debu.''
I would like to agree with you, but I've been debu'ed by more than one Japanese.

Cruel, cruel shimaguni. :-)

Confidential to SB 2007/3/22 12:42
I once worked with a guy named Satoshi who went around calling himself Sony.

The other examples that immediately come to mind could get me fired if the people in question ever Googled themselves.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 32

1 2
next

reply to this thread