Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Homestay questions 2007/2/28 10:28
Hi. I'm studying abroad in Japan this coming semester (I leave in three weeks!), and if all goes well, I'll be doing a homestay with a Japanese family. However, I hear it's the little things about a different culture that are the most annoying (aren't they always?), and I have a few rather random questions about etiquette when living with an unfamiliar family in a strange land. Excuse me if I'm blunt, but these are important questions!

1. Where should I shave my legs?
2. How long should I stay in the bath?
3. How do I tell my host mother tactfully that it's "that time of the month," so I won't be soaking in the bath?
4. Should I bring in clothes in the bathroom to wear after bathing, or is it acceptable to wear a robe?
5. Is it rude to use a hair dryer?
6. How should I say "what should I call you?" to my host parents politely? (i.e. "Okaa-san" or "Naninani-san) And when should I bring it up?
7. Any warnings of common blunders Americans make during a homestay? (I hear stories all the time, but I always want to learn more don'ts!)
by Momo  

... 2007/3/3 12:45
2. How long should I stay in the bath?

It is up to you. It may also depend on the temperature of the bath. In our household, the average time is about 20-60 minutes per person for the whole bathing process.

3. How do I tell my host mother tactfully that it's "that time of the month," so I won't be soaking in the bath?

There is no need to tell her.

Should I bring in clothes in the bathroom to wear after bathing, or is it acceptable to wear a robe?

Ask your host family.

No! Hair dryers are in common use in Japan, as well. Just use it in the appropriate room. If in doubt, ask your family.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Have a nice homestay. 2007/3/3 15:29

1. Where should I shave my legs?

I think in the bath room.

6. How should I say "what should I call you?" to my host parents politely? (i.e. "Okaa-san" or "Naninani-san) And when should I bring it up?

I think "mama-san" or "oka-san" You ask host family member.
by Roy rate this post as useful

... 2007/3/3 22:18

What should I call you?/How may I call you?
"Nan to yondara ii desu ka?"
"Nan to o-yobi shitara ii desu ka?" (in super polite expression)

I would bring it up when the initial introduction to each other is done :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Decorum 2007/6/2 16:34

Say nothing. Most Japanese women are very modest, regardless of age. You will only embarrass her by bringing it up and create an awkward situation.
by Julie rate this post as useful

Okaasan 2008/4/3 12:24
I just want to answer the ''what should you call your host mother?''
My teacher has been to japan several times and she lives with host parents each year(school field trip). she says that most mothers wants you to call them okaasan because it literally means ''your mother'' and they are someone's mother but ask your host parents.
by Lovely rate this post as useful

bathroom 2008/4/3 15:41
Of course you know that you Must not wash in the bathtub? the shower and the bathtub are in a room with a floor drain (the sink is in another room and the toilet--most likely an automatic toilet with a bidet device operated by several dials and controls located either on the side of the seat or on a pad on the wall or on a remote control--is in a 3rd room. You wash and shower OUTSIDE the tub then, after you rinse all the soap and shampoo from your body, you soak in the tub. New bathrooms have an electronic pad to control the water temperature and other stuff..Be sure to ask about the toilet controls or you will make a big mess. You will shave in the shower area, sitting on a stool and using the low faucet below the shower.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

Used to home stay 2008/4/6 01:48

Its so normal that guys use em.

Well some no nos i guess would be walking around indoors with shoes, eating on the street, talking on phone in the train...but i guess you hear them all the time!

I guess the best advice about home staying is that family are all different, so you just have to ask..When i was homestaying rotary gave me a list of questions i had to ask each family so there wouldnt be too many problems building up...like curfews, what do you do with your laundry, if its ok for you to cook dinners...and so on...there were like 30 questions...
by Peter rate this post as useful

reply to this thread