Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how to remember Hiragana and Kanji? 2007/3/11 15:16
I have a hard time remembering hiragana. But if I looks at simple kanji I can remember them please help.
I'm not sure how I can remember hiragana and kanji.
by Just a girl  

Remembering kana and kanji 2007/3/11 18:17
Can you read kana and is your problem merely with writing them, or do you have problems recognizing them all together? A lot of kana looks alike and if your problem is that you keep mixing them up, focus on the tiny differences. And instead of just looking at the kana charts, write them down. However, note that in Japan handwritten kana looks (often) quite different from the kana in the standard fonts used in books and computers. This is not helping us students at all :-)
Practice by writing out romaji in kana or do other excercises that include a lot of writing and keep that up for a couple of weeks.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Its easier if you use mnemonics 2008/7/7 17:46
Try associating the hiragana characters with some auditory or visual mnemonic. It'll stick in your memory much more easily than if you were to use rote memorization.

An example of a mnemonic:
と can be remembered as a nail sticking in a "toe".

I know of a good website that teaches hiragana in such a way.
wwww.hiragananow.com

Also, it was discovered that a normal person will need approximately 8 of uninterrupted attention if something is to be committed to short term memory. A number of regular encounters will then shift your hiragana into long term memory.
by MightyRoy rate this post as useful

Have some fun 2008/7/8 01:12
Try this website. It's a fun was to practice hiragana and katakana.

http://www.csus.edu/indiv/s/sheaa/projects/genki/hiragana-ti...
by ひらがな カタカナ rate this post as useful

write 2008/7/8 08:57
kana (hiragana and katakana) were originally transformed from kanji. So depending on how much you're interested in kanji, it might help learning how each kana was transformed. In Japan, you can spot books and articles explaining the transformations.

But as mentioned, writing is always the best way to memorize letters (as well as spellings of western words). In other words, it is a known fact that people forget how to write if you don't write for a long time. Now that we rely on keyboards and automatic spelling/kanji correctors, a lot of us forget spellings and letters.
by Uco rate this post as useful

i learned it like this lol 2008/7/8 12:29
well the way i did it was :
when i did hiragana.. i was learning them like 5 at a time by myself so what i did was write what it represented in romaji on one line.. then i would write the hiragana symbol repeatedly on about three lines lol
repeating this for each 5 that i was working on at a time. then i would quiz myself by putting, for example, A = _ Ka = _ Sa = _ etc over and over and i would fill them in, and as i learned new ones i would start back from A until i was able to fill it in and write them out completely ..
then for katakana i pretty much learned those in about 3-4 hours using the same method but i did those in sets of more than 5

im still not good enough where i can see any one and know which one it is in an instant but for most of them i can.. i just need to read and write more lol

now to learn kanji... this is gonna be a fun task lol
i actually found some charts that show some kanji by grade level but it doesnt show what they mean.. so it doesnt really help much..
by A rate this post as useful

Here's an idea that helped me. 2008/7/10 00:22
Age can factor in how well you can remember that kind of thing, but if you're young it's really not that hard.

I memorized all my kana when I was about 12.

The way I did this was I would get out a bunch of lyrics of my favorite Japanese songs written in romaji, then just re-write the whole thing using either hiragana or katakana.
Say the sounds as you're writing them too.

Once you see yourself writing the characters without having to refer to the chart, they should stick in your head. Just keep consistently doing it even after you haven't had to refer back to the kana chart, just to make sure you don't forget it too soon.

Hope this helps.
by TerrorEffect rate this post as useful

reply to this thread