Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

the Seishun 18 Kippu 2007/3/12 18:12
I want to buy the Seishun 18 Kippu for Spring 2007 which should cost me 8000Yen. I will be arriving at Narita airport on March 19th and wonder if I can buy the pass at the airport and use it right away on the JL Sobu line. If the answer is yes, where can I buy the pass at the airport? Thanks, Finn
by Finn  

... 2007/3/12 18:16
Yes, you can buy it at Narita Airport (JR ticket counter) and use it right away on the JR Sobu Line.

Whether it comes cheaper than regular tickets is a different question (a regular ticket for the Sobu Line to central Tokyo costs around 1280 Yen).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks Uji 2007/3/12 23:09
Thank you very much for the info.
by Finn rate this post as useful

Kyoto to Tokyo New Year 2008 2007/12/28 10:17
I would like to travel from Kyoto to Tokyo (29-Dec-07 : 2-Jan -08). Could you please advise how to get SeiShun 18 Kippu pass, and how to go from Kyoto to Tokyo. Please advise any other idea to have a cheap transport if having. Thank you, Happy New Year
by Lansan rate this post as useful

Seishun 18 ticket 2007/12/28 10:45
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Long journey... 2007/12/28 14:25
@Lansan,

A 18 kippu sells at any JR ticket counter or at major travel agencies for 11,500 yen. If you leave Kyoto at 9:00 am tomorrow, you will get to Tokyo at 5:36 pm, with 6 train changes en route. If you cannot fully use the five days' worth by the end of the trip, just sell the ticket to a ticket shop as soon as you finish the trip.

As for alternatives, refer to http://www.123bus.net/
Cheap tour bus service.

If you are averse to a hectic long train journey, you might as well buy a "Puratto Kodama" ticket for 11,100 yen. Will take you about 3 hours 40minutes to Tokyo. If you travel from tomorrow, you have to get it by this evening at a nearby JTB branch, or JR Tokai Tours in Kyoto Station. It need to be purchased by one day prior to departure. Not sure there are still vacancies, as it's one of the busiest periods on Japanese transport in a year.

IMHO, the 18 ticket would be the best solution in your situation.

Hope this helps.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

One thing to add, and correction... 2007/12/28 14:34
The price 11,100 yen for Puratto Kodama is for one way.

Correction of a grammatical error...
It needs to be

Seishun 18 kippu 2007/12/28 21:13
Thank Dave
I'd like to go moring from Kyoto, then drop by some interesting places, then get to Tokyo in the next morning to save 1 hotel nights.
is it possbile from Kyoto to Tokyo by night trip?.
Thank for all the answer.

Moonlight Nagara 2007/12/28 23:01
Lansan,

is it possbile from Kyoto to Tokyo by night trip?

If you looked at the page on this website about the Seishun 18 ticket, you'll see that you can use the "Monnlight Nagara" overnight train which operates between Tokyo and Ogaki. Ogaki is a small place between Kyoto and Nagoya, and the Moonlight Nagara departs just after 23:00, arriving at Tokyo station around 5 in the morning. If you board the train before midnight, note that you use two days' portions of your Seishun 18 ticket.

Nagano 2007/12/30 08:58
thank optimistk,
sorry just see your answer, so we can get refund if seishun 18 kippu is not used finished. how much we can get.
btw, i plan to go Nagano by SEishun, is it posible, i am at Tokyo now by SS18Kp, using 18 Kippu is more suitable for a group, not a single, i think

Try asking at the ticket office 2007/12/30 10:41
Why do you say it's more suitable as a group? I have used it by myself to go various places and it was great.

Is it Nagano city you want to go to, or elsewhere in Nagano prefecture?

Since the timetable can be complicated, the best thing is to go to the Midori no Madoguchi (ticket counter/ office) in any large station, and say "Nagano ni ikitai", show them your Seishun 18 Kippu and they will be able to advise you on the best route. They have the full schedule on their computers and are the experts, so they are the best people to ask.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Tokyo to Nagano 2007/12/30 12:07
Lansan,

so we can get refund if seishun 18 kippu is not used finished. how much we can get.

You cannot get a refund, but you can sell your ticket to a "kinken" discount ticket shop. I've never done this myself, and how much you get will depend on how many portions are remaining on the ticket and how much time is left within the validity period (it can be used only until 20th January). You might get around 1,000 yen per portion.

btw, i plan to go Nagano by SEishun, is it posible,

It's possible, but if you look at a railway map, you will see that it is quite a long trek, as the direct route to Nagano was severed when the Nagano Shinkansen opened. This means that, if using the Seishun 18 ticket, you need to travel via the Chuo Line to Matsumoto and then onward to Nagano. It will probably take the best part of a day to get there.
The shinkansen will take you from Tokyo to Nagano in an hour an half for 8,000 yen.

Connection to Nagano... 2007/12/30 12:44
Would show you a model connection from Shinjuku to Nagano via Kofu and Matsumoto.

Shinjuku 6:44hrs--Chuo Special Rapid (commuter train)--7:31 Takao 8:01--9:46 Kofu 9:48--13:01hrs Nagano

I'd let you know some other connections if you could tell me what time you want to leave Tokyo.

Yes, Dave is right in that you cannot have the partially used 18 kippu refunded at the station counter. Instead, you can sell it to a ticket shop. They can be found in Shinjuku, Shinbashi etc areas in Tokyo, Kyoto Station and Kawaramachi areas in Kyoto, and Umeda in Osaka. They tend to buy it for around 2k yen per one day's worth. Be reminded that the fewer days' portion it has, the better deal you'll get, and the value decreases as it gets closer to the end of the usage period, 20th of January.

For your info, if you're fed up with the very slow train travel with inconvenient connections, you could alternatively travel cheaply on Shinkansen and limited express trains on the New Year's day. I compiled the info on the Lonely Planet's forum. Refer to it if interested.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1...

Happy travels.

Thank you ;-) 2007/12/31 04:53
Thank all for guiding me,
yep, i will go to Nagano prefecture, around 3rd Jan,
Iiyama city,
Happy New Year to all. ;-)
My regards

reply to this thread