Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

choosing a Japanese language school 2007/4/19 12:56
Will be moving back to Japan in August and I'm trying to find a Japanese language school so I can improve my skills a bit. I'd like a school that offers some sort of housing, a 4 week program and frequent start dates ( will start in Sept). I've already come across numerous schools, but have no idea how to narrow it down or how to figure out which schools offer a quality education. Anyone that has experience or knowledge of such schools, please help a brother out. Thanks, steve
by steve k  

. 2007/4/19 15:00
You will be "moving back" but did not indicate where, and what visa status you will be on.

by John rate this post as useful

Yamasa 2007/4/19 21:09
I can recommend Yamasa in Okazaki from personal experience. Also, when I was researching schools on the Internet,

The down sides of Yamasa are mainly that Okazaki is not a very interesting place, and it will be miserably hot there in August. But as far as the school goes, I would rate it highly. They have flexible programs, the instructors are good, and their prices are reasonable, too. I was very satisfied with the private lessons I took there.
by Jill rate this post as useful

Whoops! 2007/4/19 21:22
I deleted part of my post. I meant to say that when I was researching schools, the information I got from other people's experiences also pointed me to Yamasa. In general, people seem quite satisfied with the quality of the instruction there. I know I was.

To add to what I've said, Yamasa is not a glitzy place, and the facilities are very basic. But if you are serious about learning and are willing to put the time in, it is a good place to go.

If you go there, check out the bakery that is on the opposite side of Okazaki station from Yamasa. Get a miso katsu sandwich and enjoy!

Hi Jill 2007/4/20 03:32
Hi Jill, If I may ask, can you tell me how long you were there and how much it cost. Do you recommend homestay there? I noticed on their website that they offered that. Also, do you know generally how many people make 1's and 2's on the JPLT after about a year there? I have narrowed my choiced for schools down to Yamasa or KAI in Tokyo or Kyoto Language and Culture Institute. But Yamasa is definatlly the shiniest, just a little on the steep side compared to the other two, but I know living expences in Okazaki is better that Tokyo, don't know about Kyoto, though.
Do you know anything about the other schools?

Thanks!!!
by Future Yamasa Student rate this post as useful

My Personal Experience 2007/4/20 04:28
I took private lessons there, about 20 lessons over a three week period (the cost is whatever it says on their web site). So I can't really comment on their classroom programs. But the instructors I had were all good, and two out of the three were just terrific. I get the sense that Yamasa holds its instructors to a very high standard. In between lessons, I observed some of the classes from the hallway, and they seemed pretty good to me.

I think it would be very hard for anyone to pass JLPT Level 1 after just one year of study. It depends on how much you already know, but Level 1 is really hard, especially if you don't already know kanji (I think it may be easier for people from asian countries that use kanji). Even passing Level 2 in one year would be a challenge, but it's possible if you work hard. However, I have no idea how Yamasa students do, percentagewise. You could ask the school. (But the number really might not mean a whole lot, depending on the composition of the student body.)

I think a homestay would be good if you really want to learn Japanese. The problem with living in Yamasa housing is I think you will tend to hang around with people who speak your own language. You may have good intentions, but I think it's almost inevitable that you will resort to talking English a lot outside of class.

Although I ended up taking private lessons, I did consider various other programs at Yamasa and I thought that the availability and cost of housing was a real plus. I think you will probably find that housing in Tokyo is not as good (probably more expensive and/or far from school; and maybe dumpy or grungy). I never thought that Yamasa was expensive compared to other good-quality schools. If schools in Tokyo and Kyoto are cheaper, consider your total costs including housing and transit. I don't know anything about the schools you mention. I think I briefly looked at KAI but it didn't meet my needs.

Kyoto and Tokyo are definitely more interesting places to be, but that can be a distraction if you are serious about studying. If I were intent on passing JPLT Level 1, I would immerse myself in Japanese and study a LOT.

Thanks! 2007/4/20 12:58
Yeah, I don't think that I could make a 1 :P But I do think I could make a 2 for I've been studying for a fair amount of time with a tutor. The more I hear about Yamasa, the more I like it. I do like the idea that Okazaki is a smaller town, I like Tokyo and I love Kyoto, but it just takes too long to get anywhere.
May I ask if you made a visit to these cities while in Okazaki? Do you know how much the transportation costs are. There are trains that go between these cities, right?
by Future Yamasa Student rate this post as useful

. 2007/4/20 13:16
The largest city Okazaki is close to is Nagoya.

You can research here on Japan guide transportation from Nagoya to Kyoto or Tokyo.
by John rate this post as useful

Travel from Okazaki 2007/4/20 21:11
Sure, there are trains, although buses are cheaper. Somewhere on the Yamasa web site there is some information on traveling to various places from Okazaki. They also organize various trips and excursions, both day trips and overnighters.

I did go to both Tokyo and Kyoto, but it was mainly after I finished my brief stint at Yamasa. While I was studying there I went to Nagoya, which is all right if you are craving a little excitement. There are a few cultural and tourist attractions and a LOT of stores, restaurants, and other big city things.

Good luck with your studies.

thnxs jill 2007/4/25 10:27
I've heard of quite a few schools in Okazaki, I'll be sure to check out the one you suggested. I was leaning toward Tokyo, as I thought it might have a better selection. Since it seems that you have done your homework on this one, i thought that I would be a bit more detailed and see if you have any further recommendations.

I'd like a school that offers 3/4 week programs, start date in Sept., has accomodation ( not looking for a homestay), lessons 5 days a week/ 4 or more lessons/day and of course good instruction and engaging teachers.

I'm not sure what your criteria was, but if it was slightly similar maybe you can offer me some further guidance. Otherwise, thanks for your help. I might just have to head to Okazaki. Thanks again!
by steve k rate this post as useful

.. 2007/4/25 11:00
Steve,

Google The Yamasa Institute and you will find various information that will help you decide if Yamasa is a good choice for you. I believe they do meet all your criteria. Yamasa has an extensive English web site. It is not very flashy, but I will say that it is pretty accurate and honest.

I don't know much about the many schools in Tokyo, although I did consider several of them. But it's a pretty personal decision. I spent quite a lot of time on the web looking around and you will probably want to as well.

Thanks for the info 2007/5/13 01:45
Hi all,

Thanks for all the information. I have also signed up with the Yamasa School starting Aug 30 for 6 weeks SILAC. I am looking forward to the experience.
by usjetsetter rate this post as useful

me too 2007/5/18 11:12
Hey usjetsetter. I'm starting a 4 week Silac program on the same date. See you there!
by steve rate this post as useful

Hey anyone 2007/12/11 09:18
I'm also very interested in the yamasa institute, does anyone have experience with a 3 month stay there, and how good does your japanese really get,
Thanks

Vinnie
by Vinnie rate this post as useful

it depends on you 2007/12/11 10:43
Vinnie, I did a 4 week stay at Yamasa this past summer. This answer is a bit generic, but... Your level of improvement really depends on how much time you spend studying. They suggest studying about 6 hours a day outside of class. If you do that and if you try to speak to your classmates and roomate only in Japanese then I'm sure you will see a big improvement.
by steve rate this post as useful

langugae program 2008/4/30 15:53
Hi,
I had a friend who participated in the Summer Program of Doshisha University and she made a great experience there. It seems that there is no application fee and that this program covers everything from language teaching to excursions to accommodation and you dont need to organize anything by yourself. If you are interested, information can be found here.
http://www.doshisha.ac.jp/international/center/pdf/sum_sessi...

Greetings,
T.
by neptun1978 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread