Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

drinking age in japan? 2003/11/13 04:17
Can any of you tell me what is the legal age for drinking in japan? And is it's checked a lot ? I'd want to book myself a trip to Japan, but I want to make sure I can go out first! ^^
by Tatsumi  

i think 2003/11/13 13:28
I think but i could be wrong the legal drinking age in japan is 20 becuase i know your 2oth birthday is like a really special occasion thus im almost positive it's 20.
by Jimmy rate this post as useful

yeah! 2003/11/14 00:11
It is allowed to drink after your 20th birthday, yes. But people don't seem to care about it. I know many guys around me who are younger and drink. And some of 'em even drive a car, but that's of course stupidity..
by waves rate this post as useful

Nobody gets carded 2003/11/14 00:12
Unless you look really young. Anyway, you can buy alcohol from vending machines--they won't card you!

BTW, I noticed a lot fewer beer vending machines when I visited again last year, anyone know what's up with that?
by kyarinchan rate this post as useful

... 2003/11/14 03:31
Sorry, I meant, noone is going to stop you from buying alcohol unless you look young. As far as I know, noone gets carded ever.

But I must qualify that by saying that kids and teens can and do buy alcohol from supermarkets and liquor stores for their parents, too. And yes, even though they're not supposed to, teens will buy alcohol and go sing at a karaoke box or go on a picnic or something...they sometimes just need to keep their drinking out of the open, where someone might notice and tell their teacher or school.
by kyarinchan rate this post as useful

Well... 2003/11/14 08:21
In the recent few years, people have become deeply concerned about the illegal drinking of youth here in Japan. The decrease of beer machines could be a reflection of that. Nowadays, every shop that sells alcohol has a sign that says "We don't sell alcohol to people under 20", but I'm not sure if they have the guts to ask each young-looking customer. Also, teachers and police patrol out of uniform and occasionally question those who look young. Even back then when I was a teenager, many of my friends were taken to the police. So it's not that it never happens. But I must admit that if you basically _behave_ like an adult, you won't get in trouble.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Japans drinking age 2008/6/9 20:28
The leagle drinking age in japen is 20 but their are vending macheans you can get alchole out of.
by me rate this post as useful

Thats not true 2008/6/9 23:25
Most vending machines nowadays require you to insert your driver's liscence into a slot so it can be sure that your 20.

But you can still buy booze at convenience stores if your under age, nobody really cares.
by Gaijinjland rate this post as useful

e? 2008/8/20 08:07
i haven't seen any of the "driver's license" beer vending machines around my tokyo hangouts (shibuya, ikebukuro, shinjuku)

as others have mentioned nobody gets carded and many people over 17 like to drink and go drinking whenever they like.. i have gone drinking with 18-19 year old friends at izakaya and never had a problem. just act responsibly and don't overdo it. drinking and driving in japan is a very serious offense.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread