Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 38

1 2
next

Best way to learn Japanese 2007/4/26 11:43
for the past 2 months i have been self teaching my self Japanese by watching movies, listening to audio CD's, watching anime, and reading Manga.

So far it know some basic Japanese and some Basic Hiragana, but not much more then that, what do you recommend i use to hopefully become fluent? I need anything that can help me read and write in particular, speaking and comprehension would help as well but i have alot of stuff for that so its not needed as much.

I intend on Graduating College and living in Japan in the next 6 to 8 years (After i visit of course) so i got plenty of time to learn the language.
by Brandon  

. 2007/4/29 10:13
Best way to learn japanese is to hire someone (private tutor or school classes in Japanese).
by John rate this post as useful

Ah, a twin.....=P 2007/4/29 10:16
You sound just like me!

I've been teaching myself by downloading pimsleurs (GREAT audio-program), and reading from books and websites.

But i want to live in Japan eventually, So i want to learn to speak Japanese Fluently.
And i plan to Study at a Japanese Language school here in the states while i go to college, and then a Japanese Language school in Japan.

Because thats really the only way to learn the language fluently enough to live in Japan day-by-day. You can't learn it fluently enough just from books and programs like pimsleurs.....=)
You need to study in a school. And in the country who's language your trying to learn. =)

Good luck!!!

xoxo
-.Izanami-.
*~xxx Nami // Iza
by -.Izanami-. rate this post as useful

Me Too! 2007/4/29 14:59
Who knew there are so many of us?! All i have right now is Japanese for dummies and a kanji book lol. plus songs and what.
by Carol rate this post as useful

Problem 2007/4/30 01:10
The problem is this is all i have right now, there is a University in my Area that does have a class in Japanese Language Studies but in order for me to get into it id have to be enrolled there as a student, i i dont want to do that for one class.

But i have found there are Language Schools withing the Chicago Area. As for how many im not sure.

When i do eventually move to Japan i would like to take a Japanese course their, but im hoping with 6 years of independent study it might not be needed as much as just living in Japanese society to learn naturally.
by brandon rate this post as useful

Main Problem 2007/4/30 01:14
But my main concern is that i wont know enough Japanese to get a job in my particular field when i do make the move, i plan on going into Computer Networking and im sure fluent Japanese is required (and business level English)
by Brandon rate this post as useful

the same 2007/4/30 02:35
all my teachers are telling me it will be hard to learn japanese but i think if you love the country and the language you can do well in it:D
by tom rate this post as useful

private tutor 2007/4/30 05:34
So my only prior exposure to the Japanese language was in animes and videos. My boyfriend and I recently looked up a Japanese private tutor in our area on craigslist and ding ding ding! We found mayumi-sensei! They can teach you so many things you wouldn't normally learn in a college classroom (ie: casual language, not super polite language) Anywho, the moral of my story is, look for a private tutor. It's worth the money.
by Pupu rate this post as useful

Any Tips How? 2007/4/30 06:01
I Live in Tempe,Arizona(Pheonix,az) How would i find one? I mean where do i go to look for one? im pretty sure they might have some classes in ASU.

Tutor 2007/4/30 09:20
i see, so i understand from what alot of people are saying, it might be a good idea to find a tutor.

Well does anyone know of any tutors in the Chicago/Rockford, IL area? (Rockford would be preferred)

by brandon rate this post as useful

Grammar 2007/4/30 17:30
for the past 2 months i have been self teaching my self Japanese by watching movies, listening to audio CD's, watching anime, and reading Manga.
A tutor is a great idea, but you better get yourself a couple of grammar books as well as you will need them to progress and learn to use the language independently and speak it freely.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Dumb Question but... 2007/4/30 23:11
Do they have a japanese verb book.? (I'm sure they do since they have one for almost every other language.)

Japanese and JLPT exam 2007/5/1 05:02
almost all foreigners think and mostly do the same. (me too)

Yes, self-learning is very good, but you wont get far. As for the Chinese Charachters you just got to have a Japanese Teacher.

Dont forget: A school is like 80% self-learning and 20% through the teacher (especially languages).

Most Employer/ Sponsor will ask you for a JLPT lvl 2/ Bussiness lvl. Unfortunately, that is the reality. Below that the chances are very low - 1% (except language teachers).

ganbatte !!!
by Kage rate this post as useful

perseverance & dedication 2007/5/1 07:33
By far, the best way to learn Japanese is through Immersion. But like any other language, it takes time and dedication to become fluent. If you really love Japanese, you'll get there! =). Study hard and hang in there!
by cliff rate this post as useful

some (possibly) useful advice 2007/5/1 15:32
I think you are on the right track. I started out just like that, and now I work as a translator in Japan.

I became pretty fluent before I even came here, but i didnt dish out a single dollar on lessons.

the best method (for me anyway, i suppose people have different ways of learning) was to completely get rid of anything english in my life. full immersion! and yes you can do it without actually having to be in japan (its just harder)

so basically all my friends were japanese and japanese movies, and i went out drinking and restaurants with japanese buddies etc. (oh, and a japanese girlfriend who i lived with, thats a bit of an unfair advantage :P)

‹»–¡‚ðŽ‚‚±‚Æ‚ª‘厖I

and also make sure you have a bloody good dictionary. my reccomendation is ''Kodansha's furigana Dictionary'' expensive but well worth it for a begginer - intermediate learner.

hope that helps (and it wasnt too late)
by Me rate this post as useful

Full Immersion 2007/5/1 22:29
Being an American it might be very hard to "Fully" Immerse my self. But I can say i have Immersed my self to a certain extent. I have been Watching more Anime in Japanese, and listening to more music in Japanese. (Im giving my self 6 years to learn it, so i think thats more then enough)

But i havent gotten a dictonary yet, but i will be sure to do sure. But will a dictonary help me with reading and writing in Japanese?
by Brandon rate this post as useful

Dictionary... 2007/5/15 18:53
I'm having the same problems learning Japanese as you my friend! As for the dictionary, you can find ones out there that have both romaji and kanji. So yes, it can help you to a certain extent.
by Dee rate this post as useful

Anime. 2007/5/29 10:52
I think watching anime is a very bad way to learn Japanese. Mostly because many of the words they use in most anime are informal or are just "not used in real society". (This told to me by my native Japanese friend.)
Try watching movies, reading Japanese novels, reading Japanese children's books (this helps a lot!), and pretty much visiting Japanese areas often. Here in LA, theres Little Tokyo, so whenever I visit I speak in only Japanese. Many times the shopkeepers and townspeople are delighted to know you take an interest in their culture.

Just something I should add about the whole teaching yourself through cartoons thing: when I was attending high school in Japan, the English teacher was actually using CHARLIE BROWN to teach his students english... Now, if you've ever seen Charlie Brown, you know how oddly and sarcastic they talk. Basically they'd watch some of the cartoon, pause it, and the students would repeat what they heard until it sounded identical. Of course to me, a native english speaker, everything sounded terribly akward and I had to explain to the teacher that characters in Charlie Brown spoke differently than people usually do.

Long story short, cartoons are a bad way of learning a language, period. (That is, unless they're made to teach a language..)
by niko-chan (nicole) rate this post as useful

brandon... 2007/5/29 13:42
brandon, you're from rockford?? ME TOO!! i was always looking for japanese classes too at like RVC or Rockford College....I never found any, so now I live in Japan teaching english at public school...i've (maybe obviously) learned faaar more japanese being here than ever possible just studying (which i did on my own, and still do on my own).

cant reccommend japanesepod101.com enough
by ryan rate this post as useful

Chicago 2007/5/29 14:56
There must be some Japanese community in your area. I'm guessing you have already looked on this site for "language exchange" people in your area, yes? Post some ads online, there are many Japaanese going to college in the US (there maybe an age problem)

There are so many books to choose from.

I started with the basic writing Hiragana & Katakana books. Picked up some Japanese Vocab./Grammer guides at the bookstore or (quickstudy.com)
"Japanese For Busy Beople" is one I like (Book &/or CD) Oh! and because I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer (dyslexic) this booked helped me a lot "English Grammer for Students of Japanese" by Mutsuko Endo Hudson (oliviahill.com)

Study Everyday! even if's it7s for only 20 or 30 minutes.

Have fun
by still learning nihongo rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 38

1 2
next

reply to this thread