Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido & Higashinihon Pass 2007/6/5 21:54
Uji :

Tks for your reply regarding the Hokkaido & Higashinihon Pass - HHP.

Few more clarification:
1. Is the HHP holder allowed to travel by limited express train besides JR rail in Hokkaido?

2. To cover my plan : Flight to Hakodate - Lake Toya - Noboribetsu - Sapporo - Otaru - Furano - Biei - Daisetsuzan Park - Akan/Mashu - Through the tunnel - Bandai /Goshiki-Numa) Swamps if possible else drop- Tokyo - Mt Fuji - Disney - Back to Kuala Lumpur.

What is your suggestion on which rail pass to use? Is 2x 5 days HHP & Tokyo day pass better or other cheapest & faster way?

PL Lew, Malaysia
by PL Lew  

... 2007/6/8 10:21
Is the HHP holder allowed to travel by limited express train besides JR rail in Hokkaido?

The HHP is valid only on non-express JR trains. There are only a handful of exceptions as explained on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_012.html

Due to slow local trains and bad connections between local trains in northern Japan, it would take you almost three full days to get from Akan National Park to Bandai National Park by non-express trains! I do not think that the HHP is a practical pass for your itinerary!

Instead, I suggest to fly to Memanbetsu Airport in the very east of Hokkaido, and then move through Hokkaido and continue to Tokyo. Depending in how much time you require, a nationwide Japan Rail Pass or possibly a combination of regular train and bus tickets for Hokkaido (or possibly a Hokkaido Rail Pass) and a JR East Pass for the Honshu part might be the most cost-effective solutions.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hokkaido & Higashinihon Pass 2007/9/26 01:32
Hello, may I know if the Hokkaido & Higashinihon Pass is available for purchase from 29 Sep to 6 October? I intend to fly to Sapporo on 29 Sep and travel around the area, maybe to Asashidake and Noboribetsu. Then fly back to Tokyo. Is this a good arrangement for the Hokkaido & Higashinihon Pass? Thank you.
by John Koh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread