Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Weird, Wonderful & Witty Japan - July 2007/6/6 01:18
I work for a London TV production company making a travel show for ITV.
However, we're not looking to cover run-of-the-mill things. We will be in Tokyo and Kyoto from 24-31 July.
We are so-far going to the Birdman Festival and the Fuji Rock Festivial.
Any suggestions for people we should meet, things we should do or places we could see would me MUCH appreciated.
Thanks
by Stu  

Difficult... 2007/6/7 22:44
It'll be difficult for ITV to find somebody or some event not covered by BBC's Jonathan Ross's Japanorama that was broadcast only a couple of months ago. Everything Weird, Wonderful & Witty in Japan was pretty much covered there. Why not switch to the other side and show rural Japan, onsen and festivals. This is often left completely uncovered. Otherwise, what always goes down very well are the phalluses displayed at shrines and temples, like these one at Marakannon temple close to Tawarayama ^_^;;, see photo:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2764553840037002407btFOqB
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Comike? 2007/6/7 22:50
Stu,

Why not stay on till August and take your cameras along to the huge Summer Comike cosplay/manga festival at Tokyo Big Sight?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2007/6/8 00:17
As mentioned, Stu have you watched the BBC program Japanorama? I know rival network, but they covered a lot of items in that series.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/6/8 03:45
I am going on a family holiday 22nd July - 12th August (can't recommend from experience). These are some of the quirkier things we may try....(may not be what you are looking for)
Dogwalking Odaiba (also Onsen themepark in Odaiba)
Cat petting Ikeburo
Theme Restaurants / Food museums - Ninja restaurant, Vampire restaurant oxygen bar, lockup, alcatraz, Ramen and Curry museums in Yokohama.
Cormorant fishing / wild monkey park Arashiyama (near Kyoto).
Ninja shows near nikko (Edo mura) and Kyoto (Toei movieland)
Pirate ship at Hakone.
by julia rate this post as useful

Curry Museum 2007/6/8 07:39
Julia,

Note that the Curry Museum in Yokohama no longer exists.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Birdman Festival 2007/8/9 00:22
Can someone please tell me the exact date for the Birdman Festival at Matsubara Beach Hikone????
Thanx
by Sacha rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/9 08:47
This year's event is already over (July 28/29, 2007). Not sure about next year's dates.

Official website:
http://www.ytv.co.jp/birdman/
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread