Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takayama or Onsen - We want both! 2007/6/18 07:15
Hi,

My hubby and I have an iternary planned as below around last week of August:

Day 1 Arrive NRT 3PM
Day 2 Tokyo
Day 3 Tokyo
Day 4 Hakone
Day 5 Takayama
Day 6 Takayama
Day 7 Kyoto
Day 8 Kyoto
Day 9 Kyoto
Day 10 Depart Osaka 1PM

Originally, it was going to be Tokyo + Hakone + Kyoto. But the folkness at Takayama is quite different from Tokyo (metropolis) and Kyoto (castles + temples). We are not hikers. We enjoy culture, food, beautiful scenary. Another thought was also to cover west of Tokyo this trip, and we think there will be a future trip to Tokyo and Hokkaido. Onsen experience is high on our list.

Question 1

Is the above iternary doable? Especially Day 4, 5, and 6.

Question 2

Are there any onsen around Takayama?

I read about Oku Hida Onsen, but it looks like it needs travelling from Takayama. Is there any onsen closer to the town?

Please share your thoughts and experience! Thank you.

Tcube

by tcube  

... 2007/6/18 17:48
Is the above iternary doable? Especially Day 4, 5, and 6.

Yes, it is doable. Quite fast paced.

Are there any onsen around Takayama?

Oku-Hida and Gero are the two famous onsen areas around Takayama. But there also seem to be some ryokan in central Takayama with onsen baths:
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/db/takayama/index.htm
by Uji rate this post as useful

yes, onsen! 2007/6/18 19:25
Yes there are some ryokans in Takayama with onsens. Though do note that some are actually just ofuro and not real hotsprings.

It may interest you to check up Hotel Associa. They have a free shuttle from Takayama station. 2 (or is it 3) levels of indoor onsen and rotenburo (outdoor onsen). Fabulous mountain scenery while you soak. Also, if you really need, an onsen theme park right next door.
by Nana rate this post as useful

check this out 2007/6/18 19:33
Found the link: http://www.associa.com/tky/

Not the old world charm of some ryokans but you'll get Takayama, onsen and a great alps view at the same time.
by Nana rate this post as useful

Thank you 2007/6/19 05:26
Looks like we can afford at most 8 nights. We have to do either or. Trying to fit Takayama means taking away some time from Kyoto. So looks like we have some decision to make.

My next question is assuming we do one way Tokyo + Hakone or Takayama + Kyoto, in 8 nights, 9 days. Should we buy the Japan Rail Pass?

One option is to buy a 7 consecutive day National Rail pass and a 3 day JR West rail pass? But since we are only doing one way Tokyo/Kyoto, maybe this is not worthwhile.

Are there other options?

Thank you!

Tcube

by Tcube rate this post as useful

Takayama 2007/6/19 15:40
if you are short of time/ $ why not forget Tokyo altogether and fly to/from Osaka? Osaka is a big town, just as modern as Tokyo, and worth a visit. It would be a shame to cut your Kyoto visit short!.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

We finally decided 2007/6/21 14:06
We thought about forgoing Tokyo, but this may turn out our only trip to Japan so we would like to take a peek at the place. We watch a lot of Japanese animae and drama so we are curious to see what the real Akihabara, Roppongi, para-para, etc. is like :) So no Takayama for us this trip...
by Tcube rate this post as useful

Buy the rail pass 2008/8/2 08:43
Recommend buying the rail pass - it allows you to ride most JR transportation everywhere including some shinkansen, JR subway, buses, and even JR ferries. It will save you a bundle on the itinerary you listed. M&H
by Mike and Hiroko rate this post as useful

6 days inTakayama 2008/9/9 10:53
Hi, I am planning to go to Takayama from 29 Dec to 3 Jan, any suggestions on what we can do there? I will definitely be going to visit Shirakawago and wanted to stay a night there but seems all the accomodation are fully booked.
by Lynnette rate this post as useful

reply to this thread